Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed at my local fish store that for some fish such as mollies the description says requires aquarium salt. Is this really necessary? I noticed on the aqauarium salt container that adding salt helps with disease prevention too.

If I have fish in the tank that do not require salt will it harm them. Basically, can I mix the two?

Thanks!

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
I believe bettas are harmed by salt, but besides them, I haven't noticed any really affected by it.

I haven't put salt in my tanks for several weeks now, and I have mollies in all 3.

I don't think salt will harm the other fish. After all, most diseases are usually cured by the use of salt.

I say, if you want it, put it in. If you don't, then don't. Either way, you should be fine.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
aquarium salt is fine for the freshwater aquarium.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I only use alittle aquairium salt for mollies.......we can go back and forth on this but aquairuim salt is not the answer to most diseases, it the answer that most chain stores tell you. It really depends onthe fish and the problem they are having, but the best solution is good water quailty.

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
Ofcourse you are correct. The diseases I am most experienced with, ich, fin rot etc do ask to use salt.

Besides that, I don't think many others need salt. But yes, water quality is the key thing to watch for. You can put as much medication and salt as you want in a tank, but if the water quality isn't good, don't plan on your fish getting healthy any time soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The freshwater additive of salt you are talking about is much different than marine salt such as Instant Ocean.

Mollies do best in a brackish environment. That is half fresh and half marine.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If properly acclumated mollies can be put in SW tanks.... for what I hear.....I know people who have tried it and say they done it and others that say it can't be done.... the ones that say the did it, it took a very long time.

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
I've heard that they can be kept in saltwater too. With all the neat saltwater fish, I don't know why you would want to waste the space on mollies. Thats what freshwater is for. Get the neat mollies for fresh not saltwater. They are probably one of the neatest fresh, but the least colorful saltwater.

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
I have had black mollies in SW. It does take a good while to slowly acclimate them. But I think their pure black color along with their sinuous swimming motion and their algae eating makes them a great SW fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts