Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm assuming my molly has ick and I added 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt to the tank (5 gallon) to try and help...

however, I just chucked it into the tank and now I'm reading that I should have dissolved it before I put it into my tank?

I saw at Petco they had it in a little container but since my tank is so small I have no idea what kind of container to put it in. And if I dissolve it first, does it actually all dissolve like normal salt? On the packaging it said that it doesn't filter out or something like that. Anyone have a quick, simple run down on this stuff??

·
Registered
12 Posts
While dissolving the salt first makes it more quickly and easily available in the water, it's not a huge thing. For future reference you can dissolve it in a simple cup.

Sometimes with biological filters (undergravel in particular) throwing salt in without diluting it can cause some "local" problems - giving a huge dose of salt to a little bit of the filter while the sale dissolves. Generally, in a well established aquarium, this is not a huge danger, but it's something to avoid if you can.

Filters won't remove salt, so it will stay in the water until you do a water change. Many medications are removed by filters.

Hopefully you've also raised the temperature of the tank. Mollies like it hot to begin with, but putting the temp at 82F will help while it's ill. This speeds up the metabolism of the ick organisim (it's a parasite), and the larval stage is the point at which it's most vulnerable to the salt. The temperature helps it get to that vulnerable stage more quickly.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!! That makes sense. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't do something really bad. And yes, I have started to raise the temp. My heater doesn't have a setting on it (it was just a cheap one) but whenever I have the light on and the heater on it gets up to about 83-84.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts