Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. i am new to this forum. I have a couple questions.

I have two tanks .. a 55gallon and a 20gallon.

In the 20, i use aquarium salt because i only have mollies in there and i read they do well with some salt. But the people at the pet store say i should use it in my 55 as a community set up... Here is my stalk:]

3 angel fish
6 tiger barbs
6 blood finned tetras
3 neon tetras
2 mollies
2 sword tails
1 khulie loach
1 blue gourami
2 blue powder dwarf gouramis

Would salt be a good idea to introduce to this tank? The pet store says they use salt in all of their tanks.. What should i do?

Also i have another question. My 55g is in a mini cycle right now. No matter what i do , the ammonia stays at .50ppm. The nitrites stay at 0 and the nitrates fluctuate anywhere from 5ppm to 10ppm depending on when I do the water change. is it possible i am getting a bad ammonia reading?

The ammonia was reading at 0.. but i cleaned the filters in the water i took out of the tank one day and the day after this started , so i think this is why it started. i used Stress coat to dechlorinate , and that is all i add to the tank. Any ideas?? This all started two weeks ago..

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
No salt. Even though the mollies and sword tails will be "ok" with it, the others not so much. Especially no with the Khulie.

What kind of test kit are you using for the ammonia?

And if I may make an unsolicitated recommendation......Add a few more Khulies. They are a social fishy and should have friends.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts