Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all New guy here question

How hard is it to maintain a 55 gallon fresh water tank with chiclids?

I have been paying for someone to come out every month to service my tank about 40 bucks a month and 140 bucks to breakdown every 6 months

I feel i can do this

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can definately do it yourself! A python is worth its weight in gold!

Python

A python is what I use for all my tanks, and I can usually get all 4 tanks done in a little over an hour!

Depending on how your tank is set up will determine how you clean it. If for example you have sand at the bottom, you won't be using your python in the sand, but a few inches over it to suck up the waste floating on the top. If you have gravel, then you can actually driving the tube into the gravel for deep cleaning. It's a great product, especially for larger tanks!

Reactions: jupitermadcat

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes! I use a Python at work... cleaning 98 tanks every week gets tedious with just a hand siphon.

Just take out about 25% of your water once a month (up to 50% if you really have too, but not recommended), wipe down the front wall and change the filter.

Super easy. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Python

A python is what I use for all my tanks, and I can usually get all 4 tanks done in a little over an hour!

Depending on how your tank is set up will determine how you clean it. If for example you have sand at the bottom, you won't be using your python in the sand, but a few inches over it to suck up the waste floating on the top. If you have gravel, then you can actually driving the tube into the gravel for deep cleaning. It's a great product, especially for larger tanks!
25% Would be how much from a 55 gallon?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Python

Do you normally replace all of the gravel during a breakdown?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you normally replace all of the gravel during a breakdown?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you will not need to replace any gravel, because it's heavy enough to fall back down the tube once you lift the tube up a little bit. The reason you hover it over sand is because it is so light, you'll suck it all up with your waste.

25% is about 14 gallons. There is really no set rule on how much water to take out, but it can make a difference depending on how often you do a water change. If your tank is cycled, a water change shouldn't affect the bacteria. However, don't clean more than half the gravel in your tank at one cleaning. That WILL affect the bacteria in your tank. I generally do a 50% water change on my tanks once a week, but sometimes I let them go to 2 weeks. I have a 100 gal. tank with 2 oscars and a common pleco, and that tank definately needs heavy maintenance weekly.

Simply clean your tank and remove as much water as you need to. Then reverse the hose to add water back in, and while it's refilling, add your dechlor to the stream going into the tank. Make sure your water temp. is the same or close to the tank temp.;)

As you start using your python, you will have more questions, please ask. Once you get the hang of it, you will wonder what took you so long! ;)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My only question to you is: why did you hire a person to do your maintence in the first place? the reason for this question is what ever your reason for it do you still feel the same way. If so you may want to think it over before firing the guy and than figuring out that you don't have the time or just don't like gettting wet. You can learn what to do easily and what not to do, so don't let that scare you. Just alittle food for thought

·
Registered
164 Posts
The real question is: are you one of my customers? If so, you can't do it yourself, keep paying your guy!

Honestly though, Get a good aquarium book, use the resources on the internet and ask questions. You should be fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I do 50% changes on all 200 of my tanks on a weekly basis with no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts