Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the aquaclear filtration now on my daughters 10 gallon.seem like an awesome system.My question is what is the proper way to service it.It has the filter aka sponge on the bottom the carbon bag in middle and the media bag on top.To rinse the filter sponge i have to remove the carbon and media.So what is the best way to do this?Thanks for any replies..

·
Aquarium Nut
23 Posts
Marty, I have Aqua Clears on most of my tanks. This what I do. When I do a water change I save the old water in a bucket, two would be better. Take out the filter basket with the Bio media, carbon & sponge in it. Place this into the bucket with the old water (to keep the bacteria wet). (If you have enough old water to put into another bucket do so). I take the bio media and swish it around a bit in the old water to remove any debris, remove from “dirty” water and set aside – but keep it “wet” I usually place it along with the empty filter basket in another bucket that I put tap water that has been treated with a chlorine remover, so to keep it wet & keep the bacteria alive. Now take the carbon bag & go to the kitchen sink & rinse it out under running water – the chlorine in the tap water may kill off some of the bacteria in the carbon, but this is not your main bacteria bed – that’s what the Ceramic Bio Beads are for. Drain the carbon & place in the bucket along with the previously cleaned Bio Media & filter basket. Last but not least, I take the sponge and wring the heck out of it in the bucket of old water – this is when you get the most gunk out of the sponge. If you had enough old water to put into a second bucket wring it out again in that bucket & get some more gunk out of it. As a final step I wring it out a third time in the bucket of treated tap water (after I removed the Bio Media , carbon & filter basket). The sponge is actually your best Bacteria Bed, so keep it “wet” & rinse it only in either old water or treated water. Then put it all back together & your done.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok cool so i have been doing it wrong lol.i just sit the basket on the edge of the sink.rinse the filter in tap water and put it back together.Was wondering about the media because it has some debris on it.thanks again friend...

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
Tom's Fish Room is the absolutely best way to do it. However, if you ever find yourself in a hurry and/or have to replace a sponge, etc.....remember to only replace one insert at a time. That way you will retain your bacterial seed bed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts