Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm looking into getting a tank for my aquatic turtle
wondering if a Aquaclear 50 FILTER 200 GPH will do (or too much) for a 15 gallon tank filled only half way with water.

·
Registered
76 Posts
An AquaClear 50 is rated for "up to 50 gallons", so that would be more than enough filtering capability. You figure at 200 gal/hr, and with 7.5 gal. capacity, you would cycle that whole tank nearly 27 times each hour.

Is that too much? Is there such a thing as too much filtration? I don't believe so, but you could probably save some money by purchasing a smaller filter.

Maybe someone with more experience has more input, but I think you'd be fine with that filter. Then, if someday you upgrade, you could still use that filter in a larger tank.

HOWEVER...

As an after thought, being that the tank is only going to be half full, the "waterfall" is going to be fairly loud. That's something to consider in a HOB filter type. Additionally, I'm not sure whether it would be good for the motor to have to draw water so far up the pickup tube. (When a tank is full, even though the tube picks up halfway through the depth of the tank, it has pressure from the water above helping.)

Anyone else have any ideas?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts