Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, is anyone here using seaboard in their reef?
It's a sheet board made from a type of plastic designed to withstand marine elements. I have seen some bare-bottom reefs with this on the bottom, it's to protect the bottom sheet of glass in the bare-bottom (no sand) system.
I wonder if it needs to be cured or washed with vinegar or otherwise, and if it leaches anything of concern into the water.
US Plastic carries it here:
Seaboard® High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Sheeting - US Plastic Corporation

All info appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have done a couple of tanks with starboard and have had excellent results when compared with just a glass bottom. You definitely want to wash it with a gentle baby soap, let it dry, and then rinse it off real good before you put it in the tank. It really brightens up almost all areas of the tank especially when using T5 lighting. It also covers in coralline very fast and gives a beautiful base color to the tank.

One thing I am trying with a new tank is to silicone it and seal it to the bottom of the tank. On one tank with starboard I had alot of nasty buildup I couldn't siphon out so I am going to try this to see if it does any better

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another thing I am thinking about using for my Reef Farm and would work pretty well for what media hound wants is to use PVC sheeting. It is really inexpensive, but the cheap stuff scratches pretty easily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Starboard works great forever use White Vinegar to clean prior to use, Yes you will get detritus build up underneath unless you put a thin bead of silicone around the edges prior to installation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts