Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a little 2 gallon tank with an undergravel filter setup that's empty...the problem is I can't keep many fish to quarantine in it; it would take me FOREVER to get all my fish if I quarantine them for 2 weeks in that little thing.

Soooooo, I have a bucket I use for my main tank...if I take my air stone/pump and place it floating in the bucket with no gravel, just fake plants and a heater, could I keep fish in there for two weeks then transfer them to my main tank?

I've never quarantined before and need a cheap way to do so. If this way works...there's no money involved! Please, please give me feedback!! I will probably be going tomorrow night to buy fish. Thanks in advance everyone!

*c/p*

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet!!! That's awesome. I'll place some filter sponge from my main tank into the bucket to add the beneficial bacteria it needs to process waste. Of course I'll be doing small water changes every day.

It'll be Harlequin Rasboras then the next batch would be Corydoras Julii. I wish I remembered what size bucket I have. I think it's a 5 gallon.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have 6 fish at the most...the Harlequins. My bucket is 3 gallons unfortunately, so it's not going to work. Looks like I'll be buying either a 5 gal bucket or invest in a 5 gal tank. What's a good, cheap filter for a small 5 gal glass tank if I go that route?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I woke up this morning to my last Petsmart Oto dead :( They survived a little over a week. It's upsetting and only confirms the importance of a separate quarantine tank. I fed them cucumber and their bellies always looked round and full. It seems that due to their experiences being wild caught and shipped the way Otos are, these guys are gonna be hard to keep alive for the first month. I'll wait another month or so and try to reintroduce them into my tank.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
10g tank is 10 bucks, get that. its cheapest way to go.

You want to know a secret, I dont QT my fish, well I only QT them if I get them from a swap or petco and walmart. Otos are sensitive cats, they are delicate more so then neons are really. I had petsmart ones, I got 6 one died right away, 2,3 and 4 died exactly a week later and 5 and 6 died 2 months later.

I dont know why I have better luck with their livestock over anyone elses but I do. might be because they are on the same water as I am and the fish are adapting to it when they come to my tank then they finish? i dunno but it depends on the place you get them from, your petsmart might not be as cared for as my petsmart. This is where they need to hire experience over filling a spot. experiences keepers wont let fish get that bad.

I had got 6 green corydoras from them, they all died within a day this was in QT I took em back, got 6 more, same thing, waited a week got a new shipment of 6, and well they make babies all the time now

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you recommend for a filter for a quarantine tank??? I'm going to stick with the 5 gallon tank though...I live in an apartment and it's easier to "hide" a 5 than a 10 LOL!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I waited 2 weeks for my LFS to recieve Harlequins...I'm going tonight to buy them. I wish Petsmart had a better quality like yours...it's hard to tell when otos are fragile to begin with!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the 5.5 gallon take with an AquaClear is set up. Running smoothly. My LFS had rasbora espei that they said was harlequins...I knew better :) I went ahead and bought them anyway because I know their colors are usually more vibrant.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
For a Qt you might try a 20-30g plastic storage container. Put in some peat moss and sand for substrate and lots fast growing plants like anacharis or vals. add a light and you should be good to go.

my .02

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks beaslbob! I went ahead and bought a tank with a HOB filter though. It's working quite well. I guess I was just cautious about using an unconventional method... next time I'll try it out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts