Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
ReefNut
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of switching from my impeller driven pumps for in-tank water motion to one of the propeller pumps. I know the propeller pumps are designed for high volume and low head (moves a lot of water but does not generate a lot of pressure). They also add much less heat to the aquarium (lower wattage for the amount of water movement).

For my in-tank water motion, I have my pumps on a timer to create wave/surge action. I'm using one of those 6-pack thingies (NaturalWave multi-cycle pump timer). So, my pumps go on and off about every 3 minutes. I've heard negative things about the RAAM Seio's when they start up. Some reports say that they make a lot of chatter and hesitate. One post strongly discouraged using them the way I intend to. However, much of that information is over 1 year old.

Does anyone have any recent experiences with these, especially cycling them on/off frequently? I'm considering the 1000 GPH sized pump (SEIOP1000).

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
943 Posts
if you want to use Seio's on a wave maker you need to use theres because it doesnt stop them it just slows them down and then ramps them back up. The koralia's have a 12 volt pump I think it is with power supply that can be used with there wave timer and so does Tunze so if you want to use a wave maker then stick with what you have or buy a complete new system sorry

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes I know about the pumps, Not all Seio Pumps can work with their wave maker. YOu have to use either 1100 or 2600 for wave making, and it has to be their controller that does.

As for the Prop pump with magnetic mount, It is a great pump for wide flow. It is actually one of my considertions to going to on my current build. But they can not be used with a wave maker system.

You will find the only real pump you can use with system is a maxi jet. I would do the Mod on it as well. Most of the other pump makers make proprietary wave computer for thier pumps. So you can n ot do what you want to do. Sorry but you may want to keep what ya got.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts