Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I know I am going to soon where out my welcome here but I am afraid I have another question for you all... I have 55 gallon with 4 tiny platys, 1 little for now pleco, 1 firebelly newt, 1 african drawf frog and I want to add a few more small guys in there and hubby wants a bala my question is I was thinking of adding another small school of platys but a different kind I have heard that males will fight and its best to have one male for every few females. Is this going to be a problem will the different breeds of platys try to mate or do they only mate and fight over mates with there own....? I know dumb question I just do not want any fighting with each other. If I go this route. Also I owuld like to add I just got the platys yeterday and I have fry tonight and did not evenknow there was any possibility of this happening.... But I think I found daddy and I believe there is only one male and 3 females. Sorry so long but thanks for the help all

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well dj thanks again for your help I will take all your advice and info in before I add anything to the tank, in a week or two maybe..... I for sure am going to wait due to the fry and possibility of more lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
no problem adding more platties to a tank your size, but as the frog gets bigger he will be able to eat platties.

also, questions are always welcome... keep em coming

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no problem adding more platties to a tank your size, but as the frog gets bigger he will be able to eat platties.

also, questions are always welcome... keep em coming
Oh Kogo dont tell me that I have read and LFS said he wont get much bigger than he is they also said he wont eat anything hes an african drawf he has webbed feet he is not the african clawed? I think was the one close to him that gets big and eats other fish.... Was this info wrong am I in trouble? Also I think I am going to leave the platy family alone I think I might add some guppies like maybe 8-10 most female and maybe 2-3 males? I might add like 3-4 platys just to k ind even out the small groups little and kind leave it there. Oh I am still seeing the baby dart by once in awhile but I cant really find him but he did come out when it was feeding time today I guess thats how I am going to have to catch him..
Thank you for making me feel so welcome and being so kind, when I first started this whole thing I joined the 1st fourm I found and I tell you there were not so kind and ready to answer silly questions and really they kinda leave you out there...

·
Registered
324 Posts
I may have been mistaken, Ill check around, but watch him close as he will eat anything that fits in his mouth.

I'm glad you feel at home here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Kogo if you here different let me know I am very new and very possible I could have been given wrong info again

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
cna you post a picture that would help clear up thing.... and you right most LFS will tellyou anything to get you to buy things..... you need to look for the shop where the owner loves what he does.....and wants to promote good aquarium procedures

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was confusing dwarf frogs with clawed frogs. your information is correct.

sorry for the error

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thank you Kogo thats what I heard was clawed frogs were bad news for other fish but drawfs were ok Thank you for letting me know I didnt want any fighting or killing going on.... By the way all I still see 3 fry we saw them just now and we added 3 female 1 male fancy guppies... Very pretty the tank is looking very nice with the mixture they are all very small for such a big tank but now that we have mixed things up alittle it looks nice I now they will get a tad bigger so we are not planning on adding any new on there
so that leaves us with 1 nfirebelly newt, 1 african drawf frog, 4 platys, 4 guppies, and one pleco oh and a few fry I am not sure if they will amke it or not if I can get them I am going to put them in a 2.5 gallon till they are bigger but they are hard to find and harder to catch...
and we have 10 gallon two small gold fish and 2 ghost shrimp
My family is growing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts