Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I gotsa 'nuther question for all of you. You have been so helpful!

If anyone has been following my other posts, I have updated most of my problems/successes. I am super super close to getting everything right and to getting my nitrogen cycle complete.

I want to address one more thing I am noticing within the past two weeks.

After I put some Ketapang (Indian almond leaves) and driftwood in my tank, of course it turned a stained tea color..as expected. The bio-cycle is going well, and my fish seem very healthy and eat well. As I do my PWCs, the tannins from the Ketapang and driftwood are becoming less dense, and the water is clearing a bit, but there is a very light coating of brown stained, flaky buildup ONLY ON THE PLASTIC pieces in the aquarium. The rocks/glass do not have this coating at all. Only the intake/output filter tubes/suction cups and the bases of the artificial plants. I have an inline heater with clear tubing for the filter output and the inside of the tubing also has this buildup.

It is slightly slimy (like algae) but when I am siphoning or moving items around tiny pieces will flake off and sink. It does not float, and it is not neutrally buoyant, but it slowly sinks to the bottom. I can see it is clearly flaky. I imagine it may be a calcium buildup of some sort, and it has just been stained brown from the tannins? The fish will nip and eat at it as it sinks to the bottom, but no adverse effects...
54 Gal.
My water is 85 F
pH 6.8-7.0
GH 3-4 degrees
KH 5 degrees
NH3/NH4 0
Nitrite .3
CO2 conc. 16-20
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Protein buildup is a good candidate in new tanks. I doubt the water is stagnant enough to cause calcium buildups in a well filtered aquarium. I get bad calcium chips near my bathtub drain if I wait too long to clean it, but I doubt you'd see that in an aquarium.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts