Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I'm so glad to have found this place! I love keeping a fish tank! I have always had one but I still have so many questions!

I just recently started up my 33 gallon tank again. My husband was doing some electrical work and shut off power to the filter. He burnt out the motor of the AquaClean filter. *Mad* So I have replaced it with a Fluval U2 underwater one, which has made him happy since it is so much quieter than the AquaClear one!

Right now I have one blood tetra in there but am hoping to get more in the next few weeks after things have cycled. Any suggestions? Usually I just get some fish and hope for the best!

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Since you are doing a cycle with a fish it is going to mean adding your fish slowly so you do not overload your cycle or it will fail. This will mean just a couple fish at a time for a few weeks until the filter completely establishes itself. After that happens you can get the rest of the fish but since you will be doing it this way a quarantine set up is almost a necessity. I would never put more fish in a tank without a period of quarantine as one sick one can wipe out all your progress.

Since you have one blood tetra you will want more since they need to be in a shoal of at least 6 to 8 to be happy. Then you can take the room that is left over and try to find a fish that can be your showcase fish, you could try a gourami or a small angel pair in that size tank for the showcase fish. Also Rainbows or other colorful fish like swords make a colorful addition for show fish.

For bottom dwellers I would suggest a small school of cories as they will stay pretty much at the bottom and give your tank a lot of activity there.

This would give your tank some activity at most of the levels and give you some real color in there. But there are a lot of other fish you could look at that would be compatible so if you go fish shopping and want to ask about some please do not hesitate to ask.

Rose

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! I do plan on getting some more blood tetras. I had 4 before the filter incident! I do plan on getting 2 angels. I love angels!

Like I said, even though I have always had a tank, I still feel like a noob!

My kids love the tank. The only problem is they always want to feed them. Which would be fine but I can't seem to get them to understand that they don't need the whole container of food!

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
:good-news: We have another new Member, and boy am i glad. We really look forward to greeting new folks and hearing about your hobby, and yes...we have plenty of experts that can help you along no matter what your situation happens to be. So Have a great time, get to know the guys here, and look forward to reading your posts.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

My tank is now perfectly cycled so I have added 6 more bloodfins to my tank! I don't know what to get next!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
A "clean-up crew" should be the next addition-a Fresh Water CUC usually is a school of corydoras catfish(Bottom feeders) and a school of otocinclus catfish(algae eaters).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's my plan! I wanted to make sure the tetras were schooled first!

How many should I get of the corys and otos?

Reactions: petlover516

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
at least 3 of BOTH kinds.

Reactions: Relle

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
welcome to the aquarium forum...about the bottom dwellers you should at least get the cories because they are very peaceful...and yeah you should school the tetras first but remember to add only a couple at a time because then your tank will crash

·
Registered
167 Posts
welcome to the site! I'm sure you will fall in love with this site as did i!
If I had a suggestion for additions to your tank I would recommend getting a couple of dwarf Gouarmies. they are my favorite fresh water fish. =]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts