Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have another question regarding my angelfish. As he's grown, I've noticed that the top of his top fin is looking increasingly bent. I've tested for nitrates and nitrates which haven't been the problem. I've spent a long time watching him with the other fish with no signs of fin nipping. I'm not sure what might be causing this. He doesn't seem bothered and it's not affecting his swimming. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause the top fin to bend or lose tension?

Many thanks,
Katie

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
size of tank? frequency of water changes? these two factors can effect the developement of an angelfish's fins. it is not resversible - unless you cut the fin off and let it regrow! lol, not sure if thats very humane.....

Reactions: KatFish

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 55g tank with two angelfish (one with problem top fin and one with normal top fin), 5 harlequins and 3 gouramis. I change 10% of the water every week. Would increasing protein in diet help? Currently, they have bloodworms one a week.

Thanks,
Katie

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
Susan...love your new avatar!!

Reactions: susankat

·
service cart captain
80 Posts
Cramped quarters is the most common cause of this. Even if the fish looks fine for a while , if it was reared in overcrowded tanks, it can have this condition later on. I've read that having an aquarium that is too shallow can also cause this in adult angels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts