Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about them because i plan on getting one.
-How do you handle them to place them in the tank?
-How badly could they harm other fish?
-How bad does a carpet anenome sting?
-What is the least stining anenome?

Thanks*c/p*

·
~/root
661 Posts
I have a few questions about them because i plan on getting one.
-How do you handle them to place them in the tank?
-How badly could they harm other fish?
-How bad does a carpet anenome sting?
-What is the least stining anenome?

Thanks*c/p*
First off: Welcome to the forum :)

- Just pick em up don't be too rough with them. There sting isn't too bad. Unless your picking up a 6 inch carpet, that one might give you a good sting.

- Well the larger they are the more they can swallow. Depending on how aggressive the species is they can deff eat or kill other fish, on purpose or by accident. Now coral on the other hand is a bit more "at-risk" as i have many-a-coral fall at the hands of my nems :(

- Well the little ones aren't too horrid. The larger ones aren't too fun. If your allergic you may want to look at a different species.

- Personally I would say a Pink tipped Haitian / condy they are about the weakest sting nems. that's my opinion.

·
Registered
724 Posts
+1 on all the above. What size tank are you looking to put this anemone in? And how long has it been set up?

·
Registered
74 Posts
You need to do lots and lots of research first!.. anemones are very sensitive creatures and should therefor be given the utmost respect.
When you are ready to buy one try to get a captive engineered one, this way its one less off a real reef.. and captive ones are more tolerant to the home aquarium.

Reactions: Nickeftink

·
Registered
724 Posts
That's good to hear. Anemones are one thing you don't want to rush; I'd wait a minimum of 3-4 months before adding one. The longer the better.

·
~/root
661 Posts
GetITCdot's failed anemone attempts:

1 $49 dollar green BTA
1 $69 dollar carpet
1 $79 dollar 12 inch sebae

I don't do anemones anymore...

·
Registered
16 Posts
As Soon At The Anemone Attaches To A Rock Try To Set The Rock Upside Down On Other Rocks Without Squishing It So It Will Make A Nice "j" With Its Foot. It Will Also Stay Put This Way So You Dont Have To Worry About It Getting Caught In A Powerhead Or Stinging Other Tank Mates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts