Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 30-gallon aquarium with 12 guppies, 3 glofish, 3 mollies, 1 balloon molly, and 1 glowlight tetra. I do 50% water changes every 2-3 weeks. Ever since I started in the aquarium hobby, I have been having trouble keeping fish alive. Currently, whenever I buy either dwarf gouramis, mollies/balloon mollies, or guppies, they usually die within 2-3 weeks. My only conclusion is that they are dying from stress but I can't figure out why. The only fish that usually stay alive are my glofish and glowlight tetras. At first, I thought that they just had a bacterial infection so I bought aquarium salt, Melafix, and Metroplex and dosed them in a 10-gallon quarantine tank. It didn't work. My local pet store told me that maybe my Nitrate levels were too high so I got a live plant. It didn't work and the plant melted and died. I thought maybe my hang on the back filter wasn't big enough so I bought a Fluval 107 canister filter. It still didn't work. The entire time I also had an ammonia test kit but whenever I tested my water it would always say zero. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Water parameters:
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - between 0 and 20ppm
Chlorine - 0ppm
pH - 8.4ppm
KH - 300ppm
GH - 0ppm
Temperature - 78°F

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,797 Posts
Your nitrates are fine. How are you acclimating your new fish? Are you getting fish from chain store like petsmart? What Kind of plant was it? Stick with easy plants and add several. Up your water changes to weekly. I think you don't need to add anymore fish right now and when you do you need to quarantine in 10 gal for at least 15 days to make sure you don' introduce any disease to your tank.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Your nitrates are fine. How are you acclimating your new fish? Are you getting fish from chain store like petsmart? What Kind of plant was it? Stick with easy plants and add several. Up your water changes to weekly. I think you don't need to add anymore fish right now and when you do you need to quarantine in 10 gal for at least 15 days to make sure you don' introduce any disease to your tank.
Hi! The Fish Lady here! Nice to meet you!😃😃
Aawww... I'm sorry, really... I believe that Susankat is right on...hmmm...
From experience, myself, the chain store supplies are really going down hill somewhat, actually, their stock is beginning to "suck"...this is one of the reasons my husband and I begun to buy from notable breeders. We just got sooo frustrated with us purchasing stock (our babies) to get them home and finally into their habitats to just die on us...ughhh...😢😢
I do wish you the best...hmmm...yes, maybe it's your accumulation?? Dang...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I posted this recently but I actually figured out my problem on another aquarium form page. My GH levels were way too low and livebearers prefer harder water. I bought some Seachem Equilibrium to boost up my GH and my fish seem to be doing way better. Anyway, thanks for your replies though.

I just want to note that the plant I bought was an easy type. I don't remember what species it was, but since I didn't have any minerals in the water and low nitrates at the time, it melted and died. Also. I did try buying from local breeders to see if maybe that was the issue but they died as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I know I posted this recently but I actually figured out my problem on another aquarium form page. My GH levels were way too low and livebearers prefer harder water. I bought some Seachem Equilibrium to boost up my GH and my fish seem to be doing way better. Anyway, thanks for your replies though.

I just want to note that the plant I bought was an easy type. I don't remember what species it was, but since I didn't have any minerals in the water and low nitrates at the time, it melted and died. Also. I did try buying from local breeders to see if maybe that was the issue but they died as well.
Hi there! 😃
Good, good!😃 we just love Seachem products and will definitely recommend them to anyone who will listen. They're worth the monies that you pay for them, definitely!
Aawww... I'm like sooooooooooo happy for you and your babies!!😃😃😃

1 - 6 of 6 Posts