Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ways to anchor plants to the bottom of the tank. I have Anubias. Lots of Anubias. When I split them, it becomes harder and harder for them to stay at the bottom!

The cotton thread is too much of a pain for me. Rubberbands are terrible.

I'm looking to something like hot glue, or superglue, couple roots to a small pebble.

Please let me know your methods of securing plants to the bottom.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
8,277 Posts
This will work.

Attachments

·
On the wild side
4,132 Posts
bev beat me to it

·
Fishkiller
93 Posts
i would much rather tie it to the wood or rock.gluing it is kind of like being too lazy to tie your shoes so you just glue them on..lol

·
Registered
138 Posts
i would much rather tie it to the wood or rock.gluing it is kind of like being too lazy to tie your shoes so you just glue them on..lol
I started attaching by glue, due to incidents of bottom dwellers using the driftwood as hides getting fins caught in the fishing line/sewing thread.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My solution, for at least rhizome plants, is to glue some of the roots to a small stone, enough to keep them near/on the floor.

If the plants are disturbed, they will fall back to the floor, instead of floating to the top.

In an all sand substrate, it seems to take the plant longer to grab a hold of something to keep them down.

·
On the wild side
4,132 Posts
I would think the glue would be a safer option because nothing can get caught on it, but thats just me. I know there are strings that can dissolve over time but still could present a danger to the fish.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I used to use thread or fishing line (a pain to tie), and switched to black zip ties. Home Depot, Lowes, etc sell some fairly thin ones. I zip tie the plants to a rough flat rock and bury the rock and most of the roots in the substrate, but not the stem. The rock and most of the zip tie is hidden and I've found anubias grow fantastic this way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts