Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Native fishroom, is kept at a constant 70 degrees year round to accomodate the lower temps that natives like, However since the addition of some new fry that i just received, im trying an experiment based on what actually happens in nature in my area, and im trying to achieve some rapid growth of these fry. In the 15 gallon breeder they are currently housed in, ive added a heater to maintain that temp at a constant 76, which if my theory holds, should simulate late Spring Early summer temps in the Lakes and ponds here, when fish become most active. Their metabolism speeds up, they eat more and bingo, more rapid growth. We will see...what do you think??? *i/d*

·
Registered
143 Posts
You're theory just might work. Some reptile breeders do that too on off off season, winter time. I've known a few Crested Gecko breeders that cool off the female gecko in the spring/summer, therefor lowering the temps by lowering the AC, thus making it colder. And turning on the heater and keeping cages warmer in the winter. They put a male/female pair in a cage a little after fall and have eggs/hatchlings sometime during the winter.

The same has been done or tried being done for Corn Snakes. Altho, I don't quite remember if some had success or not. If I remember correctly some do and some don't.

But I know that for Crested Geckos.....it has worked. So yeah, a fake season, so to speak might just fool the breeding pair. Therefor, it just might fool the fish and grow faster than normal.

In conclusion, I think you have a good experiment and a good theory there. And I would like to know how it turns out. :) I'll just be here waiting for the results here. *pc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts