Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tank that was used for housing a snake. I cleaned it thoroughly (at least I thought I did) and I have had nothing but a terrible ammonia problem since. I have recleaned the tank and treated it with ammolock. No help. Please, can anyone help me. Is there anything that will nutralize this tank?:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info. Does prime and safe nutralize ammonia? Do you know why the ammolock didn't work? Thanks again, Ann

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, fish but I removed all decorations etc before I treated. Do you know anything that is a natural nutralizer like maybe vinegar or soda?

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Thank you for the info. Does prime and safe nutralize ammonia? Do you know why the ammolock didn't work? Thanks again, Ann
Yes, they do. Seachem also has an even stronger product I had forgot about called AmGuard:
AmGuard concentrate

There could be several factors at play here. (I'm not sure if there's a shelf life concern with Ammolock, for example.) Also, your test kit may even be giving you a false positive since certain types of kits will make some of the ammonia removal products release the ammonia back into the test sample.
For more info on the topic, this page has some useful info:
MultiTest: Ammonia

Also make sure not to scrub the filters or the gravel so clean, let the beneficial bacteria build up. Also consider dosing with Cycle or some other biological supplement to build up a bacteria colony to keep the ammonia out naturally.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I too get frequent ammonia spikes but the ammolock works well for me. I have found that the master test kit by mardel gives a much more accurate reading. You can find them at your LFS and they run about $15 but they last for about 6 weeks and give temp and ph readings too. But you still need to do a 5 in 1 test occasionally. Oh I forgot, if you use a canister filter there is and ammonia pad that you can put in that helps. I have a Fluvall 205 and put it in the top media slot. Canisters are more expensive but def worth, look into into if you do not have one

·
Banned
3,683 Posts

There is a danger in the ammonia lock products. Most test kits measure the total ammonia regardless if it is the dangerous free or saf(er) locked ammonia. So you add ammonia lock, still test ammonia and add more.

The danger is the products can (will) also lock up oxygen. So you can suffocate you fish even though the ammonia is safe.

The standard liquid test kits like API's ammonia test kit has the above property.

the seachem multi test ammonia test kit here:

Seachem. MultiTest: Ammonia

Tests for both free and total ammonia.

So I recommend you get that test kit to check your ammonia and any other test kit which measure both free and total ammonia. The add the ammonia lock for just the free not total ammonia.

Finally, Add fast growing plants like anacharis or vals. Healthy plants will rapidily suck out the ammonia from the tank.

Once you get the toxins out of the tank ammonia will drop to 0 in less that 24 hours.

my .02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts