Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to posting, but have viewed the site several times. Had an issue about logging in but it works now. Probably something I was doing wrong.

Anyway, a little about me. I have way too many interests and not enough time, but hope to be semi retiring soon. Have had aquariums off and on since I can remember. Remember my great grandmother had a bowl of guppies in Kansas. Wish I could find one like that again. It had a big handle over the top and the fish swam thru the handle after you pulled the air out of it with a tube.

Back in the 60's I had a Garden Center with a pet shop in Oklahoma. After graduating from college (BS in biology and ornamental horticulture) and military obligations I moved to Florida where I have been ever since.

Here I have made a living growing and introducing new and unusual plants combining hobby with work. Orchids, Bromeliads, Heliconias, Hoyas, Cactus, Rhipsalis, Begonias, Amaryllis, Aquatic Plants, Aroids,Bananas, and in total about 6000 different varieties keep me busy, at 3 locations, 2 in South Florida, and 1 in Veracruz State of Mexico.

I have had the pleasure of visiting the Tropical Fish Market at ChatuChak Market in Bangkok Thailand numerous times. We were probably the first to recognize and bring back and name the "Pearl Scale" gene in Angelfish originally from Thailand. (Wrote an article for TFH magazine about this in the March 1991 edition.)

I really enjoy aquatic plant life, but also Guppies, Angelfish, Bettas, FW Shrimp, ....Well you get the picture.

Since hurricane Wilma and our recent purchase of property in Loxahatchee, I've been too busy to tend more than 3 aquariums. I have 2 Altum angels that are probably approaching 10 years old in one 100 gal tank and mainly guppies which have had no culling since Wilma in a Wave tank. In a Nano tank I have a group of Cherry Shrimp. Outside I have numerous Thai pots filled with water lilies, misc aquatic plants, and guppies.

If this were not enough we have 9 Pembroke Welsh Corgies, that we absolutely adore, 5 Geese, and now interested in ornamental bantams and chickens. We have a good size pond that is frequented by wild wood ducks as well as other species.

Our Loxahatchee property, we feel is the best piece of property in South Florida. Only 10 acres but presents itself as in the middle of nowhere, yet less than a mile to all the conveniences of Palm Beach. We love it.

Our Mexican property is at the base of permanently snow covered Mt Orizaba. At 18,800 feet we understand it to be the 2nd or 3rd highest point in North America. Our farm down there is 60 to 80 degrees year round since it is at an elevation of 3500 feet. Although we are land poor, we consider ourselves as some of the luckiest people on earth. We simply just love all of Nature and do what we can to expose people to all Her magnifence.

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
;)Welcome! Looking forward to online browsing as you expand your shopping section. Unfortunately I'm into most everything that you sell, so a bit of wealth redistribution may well occur.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In this economy we need it and absolutely appreciate it more than ever. Just think I figured out how to post pictures. I was submitting too large of ones. Unfortunately I got to add some things to our ebay store right now before Christmas is over. I have lots of pictures that I would like to post and hopefully get a group together to go back over to Thailand. Think my next one will be to get my back looked at and tuned up again. Bumrungrad hospital over there is fantastic. Have a story at my website. I took a bad fall over one of my corgis several months ago and have been in and out of pain. If it doesn't clear up by Christmas, will probably head over there again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts