Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm starting to set up a 29 gal fish tank. I've kept fish in very small aquariums (5 gal and a bowl as a kid) in the past, so this is my first go at a somewhat larger tank. I actually had a goldfish in a 5 gal tank before I knew better. (The fish was a feeder fish that was a rescue from the bio lab in grad school- the department asked for volunteers to take fish home after the freshman lab on respiration.)

Anyway, I think goldfish have more personality than most fish, and I think it would be fun for my 3 year-old son, but I'm realizing that my tank is too small for even one goldfish.

Are there other "personable" fish out there suitable for a smaller tank? I'm not talking about dog-like devotion. :) I just think it's fun that goldfish will basically acknowledge your existence, even if they are just doing the "goldfish dance" to beg for food.

The other thing I like about goldfish is that they don't require a heater, but I'd be willing to get a heater for my tank if necessary.

:fish9:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My platys and mollys seem to swarm to the side of the tank I am sitting by. But thats about it.
LOL Hey man, sometimes that's all we can get. :)

I'm learning that bigger fish tend to have bigger personalities. Unfortunately, my 29 gal just isn't big enough. :( I guess I'd rather have healthy and happy fish, even if they aren't that personable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts