Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 40 gallon tank with a variety of fish and only plastic plants. It has been stable with the current fish for about 5 months and the fish have occupied all areas of the tank in what seems a peaceful, happy manner. However in the last 3 or 4 days they have ALL migrated to the bottom quarter of the tank. There is no obvious visible sign of distress and they still swim about happily and feed well - but wait for the food to come down to them. I did a 20% water change 3 days ago and at that time the simple 4 parameters were normal and the same as for the last few months (PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate), water temp has been stable at 78F and checked with another thermometer. When I did the water change there were already signs of fish moving down and this has since got worse. Water was again checked today and still good.
Any help would be appreciated.

The fish are 2 pearl gouramis (used to feed from my fingers) 4 small clown loaches, 2 small plecos, and about 20 small tetras, neon, ruby, lemon and black line.

Thanks, Ray

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,707 Posts
With that many fish you need to do larger water changes. like 50% each week.Can you give actual readings of your parameters. You have fish that will need at least a 100 gals to reach their full size. Plecos are major poop machines and depending on type can get pretty big.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Susan(?),
Thanks for the reply. I understand the tank would never handle the mature loaches and pleco's and plan to trade them in when overly big. Currently I do 20% - 25% change every week and the readings have been quite stable for some months. PH is 7.0 - 7.2, Ammonia is currently 0.0 and has never gone above about 0.125, Nitrite is now and has always been 0.0, Nitrate is currently about 30 and has varied from 0.0 to about 40.
The thing that really got my notice is that it happened to all the fish at the same time, none of them would leave the bottom 4 or 5 inches of the tank even to feed. Now in an update all is fine!! all the fish are back to their happy roving lifestyles, Gouramis at the top and finger feed and the clown loaches playing everywhere, the change happened in less than 24 hours with me doing nothing.
So I am concerned what might have caused it in the first pace? as I don't want to repeat it as it is obviously not good for the fish. One thing I wonder about is water contamination from other chemicals? I do a lot of car work and am often handling oils, paints, solvents etc. I always wash my hands before handling fish items but might have not been good enough?
any suggestions would be welcome.
Ray

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I have a 40 gallon tank with a variety of fish and only plastic plants. It has been stable with the current fish for about 5 months and the fish have occupied all areas of the tank in what seems a peaceful, happy manner. However in the last 3 or 4 days they have ALL migrated to the bottom quarter of the tank. There is no obvious visible sign of distress and they still swim about happily and feed well - but wait for the food to come down to them. I did a 20% water change 3 days ago and at that time the simple 4 parameters were normal and the same as for the last few months (PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate), water temp has been stable at 78F and checked with another thermometer. When I did the water change there were already signs of fish moving down and this has since got worse. Water was again checked today and still good.

The fish are 2 pearl gouramis (used to feed from my fingers) 4 small clown loaches, 2 small plecos, and about 20 small tetras, neon, ruby, lemon and black line.

Thanks, Ray

Thanks, Ray
may want to insure they are getting plenty of air circulating in the aquarium

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

I have 2 large airstones in the tank and they have been on all the time so I doubt if they are the cause. The mystery to me is why did this happen to all the fish at roughly the same time then the problem solved itself, again to all the fish at roughly the same time without me knowingly doing anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Susan(?),
Thanks for the reply. I understand the tank would never handle the mature loaches and pleco's and plan to trade them in when overly big. Currently I do 20% - 25% change every week and the readings have been quite stable for some months. PH is 7.0 - 7.2, Ammonia is currently 0.0 and has never gone above about 0.125, Nitrite is now and has always been 0.0, Nitrate is currently about 30 and has varied from 0.0 to about 40.
The thing that really got my notice is that it happened to all the fish at the same time, none of them would leave the bottom 4 or 5 inches of the tank even to feed. Now in an update all is fine!! all the fish are back to their happy roving lifestyles, Gouramis at the top and finger feed and the clown loaches playing everywhere, the change happened in less than 24 hours with me doing nothing.
So I am concerned what might have caused it in the first pace? as I don't want to repeat it as it is obviously not good for the fish. One thing I wonder about is water contamination from other chemicals? I do a lot of car work and am often handling oils, paints, solvents etc. I always wash my hands before handling fish items but might have not been good enough?
any suggestions would be welcome.
Ray
Then bro it might be the tmp, your tmp might be cold

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the reply, although I don't think it is the temp it could be. When I did the water change (the same way as many times before) I try and keep the temp stable and according to the thermometer there was no change of more than a degree or two. It also seems a bit strange to me that all the fish would all behave the same way at the same time and all recover at the same time as well, but it is something that I will monitor a bit closer during changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts