Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a really good deal on a brand new 75 gallon tank, and stand, and after waiting and planning, it has finally come in
We decided to use sand as a substrate in this one, so I went and got 100 pounds of (supposedly) rinsed and sterilized playground sand. I did put the sand in a brand new, clean bucket, and rinse it again (sterile my rear end) and got out tons of debris. Today I put it in the tank, put a brand new filter together, and it is filtering as I speak. (Its a Marineland bio-wheel filter, appropriate sized for the new tank)
The tank looks like lakewater. Its brown and dirty and this has me a little freaked out. This is my first experience with sand, and I am panicking a little bit.
It will clear up, right? How long should I give it before I start doing water changes?
My fish are safe and happy in their other tank, I am in no hurry to move them over, I want this tank to be happy and not lake like first...

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
I would personally drain the tank and refill, doing so slowly letting the water hit a plate first. This will cut down on the cloudyness you are experiencing. You could also let it run a few days to clear it up, but you need to put some floss in the filter to catch any small particulates and change/rinse it our frequently.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
No need to panic....all is good. Even though it is advertised as clean and such, it still needs to be rinsed off quite a bit. Run out and get you some poly-fil and pack it in your filter. Every hour or so (if you want ... which I would recommend actually), take it and rinse it out and place it back in. Repeat often. It will be fine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Things are looking much clearer this morning. I did go and get some poly fil for the filter, and it really helped. I think we are still going to have to do a partial water change because there is some silt that just isn't being filtered, but now I know how to do it without stirring up the sand so badly...
thanks everyone!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank is now perfectly clear, we did a water change, let it rest, and today I went and got some rainbow slate, some driftwood, and a huge plethora of plants (both live, and plastic) and tank-scaped. I am pretty happy with the results. I am now cycling it (I put in some gravel, and plants from my established tank to help it along). When my parameters are good, I will start adding in fish. I think I am going to start with a school of tetra's, not sure which kind yet, depends on what I can get when I go comb the fish stores...
I plan on moving my small peaceful community over from my 29 gallon, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts