Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all im new on here, i would like some advice on cycling a tank if anybody wouldnt mind helping out, i would be very grateful thanks.
i have a 10 gallon tank as thats the only space i got at the moment.
i am on 4th week of cycling....... i am cycling with 3 danios, 2 leopards and 1 pearl which came from another tank that had broken down and i had read many times about cycling with a few hardy fish !!
since then i have been reading about fishless cycling which seems to be better method especially kinder for the fish, but i have started now with the fish being a bit misinformed at the start.
i think the cycling is goin ok so far and the fish are fine at the moment because im doin small water changes ev 2 days.
my tank stats last week were:
ammonia 0.25ppm
nitrite 1.0 ppm
ph 0.7
temp 27 c
this week yesterday's water tests were:
ammonia 0.25
nitrite 0.50ppm
nitrate 10
ph 6.8
temp 27c
my nitrites are starting to come down slowly so im just wondering if the cycling is going ok for definite i think it is.
wondering what anyone else thinks if they wouldnt mind sharing their wisdom
many thanks chris.:eek:rcawhale:

·
Registered
76 Posts
How are you measuring? Are you using a chemical testing kit, or strips? Strips aren't very accurate. Anyway...

Based upon your numbers, it seems like your tank is moving forward in cycling. Your numbers seem pretty good, although that ammonia should be zero. However, I have recorded .25 in my fully-cycled tanks - either due to error reading the color charts or "safe" ammonia ions from water treatment.

Eventually, you should be getting ammonia=0, nitrite=0, and nitrates will slowly rise between water changes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi comler, many thanks for your reply, its good to know it seems like im on the right track...........yeah im wondering why my ammonia level is 0.25 but it could be the way im reading the colour i will see how it goes.
I use API chemical testing kits,ive never used strips as ive heard they not much good.
once again cheers for that take care chris.
I will post updates as i go :shark_fin2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
How did you get a pH of 0.7???? You would have fishsticks the moment you put the fish in the water! Your hand would disintegrate to the bone when you try to take them out! Please do that reading again :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
How did you get a pH of 0.7???? You would have fishsticks the moment you put the fish in the water! Your hand would disintegrate to the bone when you try to take them out! Please do that reading again :)
LOL I kind of figured it was a typo of "7.0". Hopefully, so... :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
You are almost fully cycled! Your ammonia is basically zip and your nitrites are coming down fast....Congrats!

If you have it, you can start testing for nitrates. This should start going up but is not as toxic to the fish. Once a tank is fully cycled, we do water changes based on the nitrate levels (usually). In a normal stocked tank this means changing 25-35% once a week based on the nitrate levels. I change weekly and my nitrates never get over 10ppm.

I say you can probably start adding more fish next week, but add them in small groups based on your tank size and filtration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are almost fully cycled! Your ammonia is basically zip and your nitrites are coming down fast....Congrats!

If you have it, you can start testing for nitrates. This should start going up but is not as toxic to the fish. Once a tank is fully cycled, we do water changes based on the nitrate levels (usually). In a normal stocked tank this means changing 25-35% once a week based on the nitrate levels. I change weekly and my nitrates never get over 10ppm.

I say you can probably start adding more fish next week, but add them in small groups based on your tank size and filtration.
hey thanks for this advice,i really appreciate it:)
im pleased to say that over the last 5 days i have tested my water twice and both times the readings are:
ammonia- 0ppm
nitrite- 0ppm
ph- 6.8
nitrate- 0ppm
whoooo hooooo im now cycled!!!!!!:)
my danios are fine and active:)
im leaving it a few more days before i add a couple of new fish,so thanks i know not to add too many plus i have 3 danios and im only goin to add about 3 or 4 more because of having a small tank,im thinkin of small barbs, rasboras,or tetras as my choice for compatibility with my danios.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:)
hi all im new on here, i would like some advice on cycling a tank if anybody wouldnt mind helping out, i would be very grateful thanks.
i have a 10 gallon tank as thats the only space i got at the moment.
i am on 4th week of cycling....... i am cycling with 3 danios, 2 leopards and 1 pearl which came from another tank that had broken down and i had read many times about cycling with a few hardy fish !!
since then i have been reading about fishless cycling which seems to be better method especially kinder for the fish, but i have started now with the fish being a bit misinformed at the start.
i think the cycling is goin ok so far and the fish are fine at the moment because im doin small water changes ev 2 days.
my tank stats last week were:
ammonia 0.25ppm
nitrite 1.0 ppm
ph 0.7
temp 27 c
this week yesterday's water tests were:
ammonia 0.25
nitrite 0.50ppm
nitrate 10
ph 6.8
temp 27c
my nitrites are starting to come down slowly so im just wondering if the cycling is going ok for definite i think it is.
wondering what anyone else thinks if they wouldnt mind sharing their wisdom
many thanks chris.:eek:rcawhale:

hi all heres an update on my tank as from yesterday:)
i pretty sure now my tank has cycled im pleased to say:)
my stats are :after testin water over last 5 days ive done tests twice in 5 days.
ammonia- 0 ppm
nitrite- 0 ppm
nitrate- 0 ppm
ph- 6.8
my danios are fine and active so hopefully they will be ok phewwww !!!!:)

i would like to say many thanks to ya all for your very helpful advice, i have really appreciated it as i want to do this all properly this time round although another time i will be doing fishless cycling because you are constantly worrying about your fish !!!!! chris.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi just want to post an update on my tank.............my water stats are still really good and ive now added 4 black neon tetras to go with my 3 danios,i added them 2 weeks ago and are settling in very very well with my danios which are still doing very well,im so pleased with my tank now :) i love all my fish and i love the black neons my new additions gorgeous little fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts