Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this set up was designed in the mid nintys and has been running quite well for the past eight years:

Aquarium Gallery - Drawing of My current set up

Here's the deal. Aquaria is one of those hobbies where we are always pushing for the next level. I would like for anyone and everyone who is oppinionated to tear this thing to shreds. I am at a junction point with this tank. It is a 55 gal thick glass (mid 70's era) that I had drilled a long time ago. It is built into the wall seperating my dining room and living room. So both sides are visible on a regular basis.

My plan is to get back to a planted tank with discus. This fits the water I have available. Please concentrate on the filter for now. I may well use substate heating, and co2 in the near future.

I am not above criticism. So fire a way at the design. Any recommendations will be considdered.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm currently finishing up a 130 gallon planted tank. I'm using substrate heating and so far I like it. I have a 65 planted without it and the heated tank grows faster. I use a canister filter for the 130 and nothing else. Foam and bio balls, ceramic rings ect. Elaberite filters are not nessesary with a planted tank as the plants are your filters. I used DIY co2 to start till I could afford pressurized. What a differance it makes.
Discus require warmer waters and cuts back the kinds of plants you can use.
Rapid turnover of the waters surface allows co2 to excape. Co2 durring the day, air stone at night. Plants create oxygen durring the day but use it at night and thus can deplete the levels available to the fish. I use air stones at night just to be safe. Trickle filters will also allow your co2 to escape. Your oxygenating the water but allowing your valuable co2 to escape. NO CARBON! Check out my video's on youtube chucks tank and 130gallon planted tank project. 5 videos total. I've learned a lot from other youtubers and there videos.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts