Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm new to the aquarium world. I am think of getting a small 10g tank. I just want 2 maybe three fish in a salt-water tank. I don't want any live rock or invertebraes. I have had freshwater tanks in the past (long time ago). Is the basic equipment (heater, filter, lighting) any different for saltwater?

I know I need a salt-water mix and substrate, but what else is required to keep the tank?

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
welcome to the site! that small of a tank will be EXTREMELY difficult to maintain if u are a SW beginner! no live rock or inverts that makes it even MORE difficult. if u are a SW beginner, no smaller than a 29 gallon WITH live rock, 55 gallon WITHOUT live rock. u will find out that the chemical balance will be unstable and u can only have 2 very small fish as a maximum.

Reactions: malachi

·
Registered
29 Posts
welcome to the site! that small of a tank will be EXTREMELY difficult to maintain if u are a SW beginner! no live rock or inverts that makes it even MORE difficult. if u are a SW beginner, no smaller than a 29 gallon WITH live rock, 55 gallon WITHOUT live rock. u will find out that the chemical balance will be unstable and u can only have 2 very small fish as a maximum.

1++++++++++++++++++++

·
Registered
190 Posts
I dont think you should start a SW tank thats only 10g with out LR. It will be almost impossible to have bilogical filtration in the tank, especially since its so small, can you not get LR for some reason or just dont want it, but you really need some.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well i disagree!You can have a 10 gallon fish only tank.Get a decent filter,Make sure your salinity is correct and with a normal light you will not have any trouble.As long as you make sure to cycle the tank first and then do bi weekly water changes you will be fine.Just do not overload the tank with fish!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Agree with Austin.LR would be a help but is not a must,But would make it alot easier..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yea i know you can have a fish only tank, but it will be hard for him to cycle the tank, its not impossible I just think its a lot easier with LR, I once had a 5g SW tank a few years ago, with normal sand dead coral skealtons(idk spell?) as decor. And a really cheap light but all i had was a clown and snails.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
it is possible, but u really can't have more than 2 fish. and finding a protein skimmer for that small of a tank will be hard.

·
Registered
187 Posts
it is possible, but u really can't have more than 2 fish. and finding a protein skimmer for that small of a tank will be hard.
You don't have to have a protein skimmer.Might help but not a have to case.Like i stated before my brother ran a 55 gallon for a long time as in years with nothing more than a good canister filter and a cpl powerheads.And never ever had any problems and his fish were very happy the day he sold the setup!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
he probably sold the set-up because it got too hard to maintain.

·
Registered
187 Posts
he probably sold the set-up because it got too hard to maintain.
Do you not read a reply in full?Did i not state he never had any problems?
He sold the setup due to him moving nearly 2000 miles!A skimmer helps sure no arguments here!But it is not a have to case,If you believe it is then you dont know as much about this hobby as you think you do!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
i do not mean to be argumental.
its just that, for a beginner, protein skimmers would be good. a 55 gallon is easy maintain protein skimmer or no protein skimmer, but a 10 gallon is very hard to maintain. its is NOT the tank for a beginner. for FW yes, but not SW.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I can agree with that.But you do frequent water changes!You will be fine,Like i stated skimmer is a great help but not a must have!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
thats the reason. a beginner might not be able to kee up on frequent water changes and get a little stressed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
With 10 gallon tank you will be doing the water changes with or without a skimmer!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
yes but without the protein skimmer they will need to be alot more frequent, like 1 time very 3 days. fluctuations in water parameters can also be deadly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts