Aquarium Forum banner

? About Quarantine Tank: Velvet Outbreak

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  rynox77 
#1 ·
I had an outbreak of velvet in my tank and lost a fish: a Basslet.

Apparently, I can't just add the velvet medication directly to the tank because I have a cleaner shrimp who won't tolerate copper. Is that correct?

I'll set up a quarantine tank, but on a tight budget, so my questions are:

* I can get a 30-gal relatively cheap, and I even have an extra heater that will work in it. Will a bubbler be sufficient to keep the water disturbed or do I need a pump or powerhead or something?

* Should I move one of my main tank live rock and some substrate to the quarantine tank?

#3 ·
Alright, that sounds easy enough. The only concern I would have is that seems like close quarters for my two percula clowns and sleeper banded goby. I've never had a problem with them nipping at each other, but 10 gallons is quite a downgrade.

Thanks for the advice.

#5 ·
Most people use a hang on back or side filter like an AquaClear for QT and hospital tanks. I keep a spare sponge filter insert in my sump at all times so I can set up a QT in a matter of minutes and install the filter sponge so the new tank has active bacteria from the start. Once I am done I throw the sponge away and stick a new one in the sump for next time.
I use a 10G or 20G for QT and hospital depending on what I am treating or observing.

#6 ·
Alright, I'm all set up with my 10-gallon hospital tank and are dosing my 2 clown and sleeper banded goby with copper sulfate. I hope they don't have to be in there long, though, it doesn't look fun and my goby isn't liking it one bit. The 2 clown seem to be adjusting okay and swimming around though. I did put a powerhead in there just to keep water moving, but I don't have any kind of filtration. Maybe in the future.

#10 ·
In researching this a little further it seems sudden temperature changes can stress fish to the point that they are vulnerable to ick & velvet. I'm almost sure this is what happened because so far my tank parameters have been great and I do regular water changes. During the last water change the water I put in the tank was significantly cooler than the tank water and dropped the tank temperature about 6 degrees.

I guess I'll just have to warm the water before I put it in the tank from now on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.