Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught this evil guy under a bridge, in a drying up creek today, anybody need him in your tank LOL *chicken dance

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
srry...what is it???i dont fw fish at all ...only sw in the bay

Reactions: JIM

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the Bowfin, They have been around for more than 150,000,000 years, a survivor from the Jurassic period of the Mesozoic era, The world record is 21# so this one is much smaller, but still quite voracious, has really sharp pointy teeth, it shredded the rubber worm i caught it on, thats why im wearing gloves to handle it with. Lots of monster fish keepers would have loved to been there to take this guy home...too much for my tanks plus i want to keep the fish i have. :)

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can Google Bowfin to get a better pic i only got one with my camera phone. i caught it on a lime green, rubber worm , with a squiggly tail. it was more like an attack than a normal bite. was casting up against some emersed brush and wham!!!, the fight was on, fought like a 10 pounder, on steroids :)

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
i could take him and throw him in the pond across the street until i get a tank for him, haha i doubt the golfers would mind

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At potentially 21# full grown, im thinkin a pond, or about a 500 gal tank would be needed, i released him back to the creek, but now i know where he is if i ever decide to do a big tank build. :)

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
about the same category as Gar, both are pre-historic fish, along with ploypterus

·
Entertainment Commitee
314 Posts
shoot went fishing today caught a mess catch and release outta the river great times with a cane pole hahahahahahhah

good times

Reactions: JIM

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No keepers Orion ??? fishin the river is pretty cool , never know what your gonna catch

·
Entertainment Commitee
314 Posts
a few keepers just choose not too lol if you knew the area lol and what was in the river ahhahahah

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
I have two 500 gallon round tubs that are at my school, and we're starting an educational exhibit for native and exotic invasive fish (seperate of course). maybe we can use him... it's at my aquaculture program at school...

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This guy is a serious predator, basically an eating machine. So in very short order he would be alone in any tank he was in. I released him back where i caught him, but do think he would make an interesting species exhibit, if you had a really large tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts