Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this a couple days ago on the planted tank, see if any of you guys wanna take a crack at it.

I have a 55 gallon tank with a rena xp3 canister filter, 2x54 watt lighting, koralia powerhead, diy co2, 4 bags flourite substrate, and a moderately planted aquarium, and keep my tank around 86 degrees for the rams

Occupants, 5 blue rams 2 male 3 female, 5 otto cats, 21 rummynose tetras, 4 nerite snails, and 5 amano shrimp.

So anyways i went to the river for the weekend and left a gel vacation feeder in the tank, when i came back sunday night my rams colors were faded, and when i tried to feed them, they cannot see there food well, but they can smell it, some can see slightly better then others.

I have always fed my rams well (a variety of frozen foods only) and they breed on a monthly basis. I am truly dissapointed to see all 5 of my rams acting like this, my water parameters are fine, 0 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, none of the other tankmates are affected, infact the rummynose tetras faces couldnt get any brighter.

and no the vacation feeder did not foul the water, they're good for 5 days in 20-29 gallon, i took mine out after 2 and a half days

Is there anyway to cure this blindness?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
brighter red foods, but fish have a sensory organ in their brain that kicks in when eyeball vision is decreased.

colors faded, were the lights off before you came home then turned them on? ALL fish wash out at night, all fish do, dark grey catfish turn light grey to white during lunar time periods.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brighter red foods, but fish have a sensory organ in their brain that kicks in when eyeball vision is decreased.

colors faded, were the lights off before you came home then turned them on? ALL fish wash out at night, all fish do, dark grey catfish turn light grey to white during lunar time periods.
brighter red foods? like a diet of just frozen blood worms? yeah these fish act like they're a little bit drunk, crashing into gravel, hallucinating, smelling food but cant see it.

The lights were on an automatic timer,

Well none have died, but i had this same incident happen to my first ram that was living in a ten gallon tank, and it still lived for many months after.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts