Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted on the cichlid board, that I was going to go with just a cichlid tank.
Things have changed. After showing my wife some Discus, that is what we are going to go with. 6 Discus, the rest being a community tank with fish that are compatible with Discus, and can handle the higher water temp.

Here are my questions. I will be going with a Fluval FX5 filter ( I know probably overkill ) It's going to be a planted tank, so I was going to go with eco-complete as the substrate.
Should I go with just one submersible heater, or should I go with 2? What type do you guys recommend?
what should I do for lighting? Really need advice on this one.

I have read about CO2 for planted tanks. This is very new to me, would you suggest going with it, or not? If going with it, please recommend what I should use and how.

Thank you,

Shink

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Get all discus at same time to avoid dominance.They can be tough on each other.
I use Aqueon Pro heaters(all the features that others have ,but aluminum lined and covered in plastic{indestructible}),Dr.foster and smith have all heaters on sale now.Heaters don't just get figured by tanks size,that's part,but also how much higher temp you wish tank to be above room temp.That's why many over size/or get two.
Discus are cichlids by the way(there are millions of cichlids).
Your filter and substrate should be fine,but you will probably need to vacumm to keep water up to discus desires(very clean),I would consider pool sand as less debris will settle in and you wouldn't need to vacumm so much(if at all).
Hope you like waterchanges,as discus keepers(sucessful ones at least) in general change more water than any other fish keeper(average 50% ++ a week).
Make sure you only get very peaceful tankmates as the discus need to be #1 in the tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
I have read so much on pool sand. Where would I get that? I just thought I would go with eco-complete, i have read so much on using that, being it's a planted tank. In my 20 gallon, I just have regular plain old gravel in there, and the plants have done very well
I'm used to the water changes, I do 50% a week right now in my 20. Yes it will be more work on a 75.

I would like to hear more advice on the substrate, pluses and minuses of using the eco-complete. I do like the thought of less vacuuming with the pool sand.

Advice on lighting?

Shink

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
You could "cap" the eco complete with sand and your plants would benefit and less waste would get trapped.Many with planted tanks do some kind of "plant substrate" capped with sand(probably best solution.)
Many have very good results with T5's evenT5 HO for plants.They're flourescents and depending mostly on the quality of the reflector(polished being best I think) seem to work and be the choice of "planters".
I use Current True Lumen Pro LEDs and they're pretty bright , but expensive initially(no bulbs to replace,low electric expense allow slow re-coup),but have had 2 transformers go dead in 1 year.They cost about the same as 1 set of lights(maybe 2),but flourescents need to be changed every 6 mos-1year so I consider it a wash(a little disapointed with quality though).
I don't use co2 yet so can't comment , but many here have extensive knowledge on the topic.
I change at least 50% on my 180,with 6 discus and many other peaceful community fish.
My pH is 7.6 and I don't adjust it,they do fine.I used to cut my water with RO/DI but that lead to 0kH and I already had 0gH,so dcided to leave water alone and have 3kH.
Water CONSISTENCY is more important than achieving perfection meaning;If your going to have to "adjust" water constantly(with water changes)that the room for error increases and stability is more important.Check your source water levels,and set a sample (a gallon or two) aside for 24 hrs. and check that to see if water changes(often it will,but EVERYONES water is different).
Check out NADA(North American Discus Association) for more info on discus,that's one of the sources I use to gather info.
Where do plan on getting discus from?If it is LFS ask to see them eat and ask if they will hold them for a week or two as they ship really,really bad.
One of the things that seems to offer greatest sucess is if they will eat flake foods.I feed frozen blood worms ,daphnia,cyclopeeze,and brine shrimp as supplements(daily or every other),but feed tetra pro crisp flakes and new life spectrum 1mm-.8mm pellets 3x daily.If they eat the flakes and pellets then you'll have better chances(they desire to live more than be picky)they can be very picky.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 2 lfs within 30 minutes. Niether of them of them have any real selection of Discus. I have been searching the internet for dealers. I have found some, but I don't know how good they are? I see that a lot of posters on here, say to go with a reputable dealer?

If anyone knows of any, please post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.