Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Eternally Undecided
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I freed up my 72 gallon bowfront for a FOWLR build. I moved all my stock and plants to a 55.

I don't have all my plans laid out yet. Probably a peaceful community. Definitely O. Clownfish for my daughter. Everything else is up in the air as of yet.

Today I painted the back glass. Four coats of Rustoleum satin black. Don't mind the sand in it yet. I need to take it outside and rinse it out yet.

Untitled by iadubber, on Flickr

Also got my 700 gph glass-holes overflow kit and a 3/4" loc-line return kit today.

Here's my alternative to eggcrate. I couldn't find eggcrate at Menards. And nobody seemed to know what I was looking for. I found this in our warehouse. Hopefully it will work fine. It's not quite as tight as eggcrate. It is a rubber product though. Will there be any issues with it?

Sump:
DIY 3 chamber 20 gallon long

Skimmer:
Unknown, I'm still looking to get one from a local reefer

Return Pump:
Unknown

Powerheads:
One Koralia 4 and One Koralia 3

Substrate:
40-50 pounds of Agronite.

Lighting:
Looking for bulb recommendations and fixtures for around $125. Preferably dual linkable units. I was thinking this.

AquaticLife 48" T5 HO 2 Lamp Fixture Marine AquaticLife 48 AquaticLife Lights AquaticLife T5 HO Light AquaticLife Light AquaticLife Lighting Dual Lamp T5 HO Aquatic Life

I'd still like to repaint my stand since there are quite a few chips in it.

·
Engineer
671 Posts
Be super careful when drilling that tank if I am not mistaken if it is a marine land brand tank more than likely it is tempered glass.

Tempered glass is very tricky to drill with out shattering.

·
Engineer
671 Posts
LOL

I miss companies like that,
Corby alarm keypads would also include a tootsie roll in the box. :)

I was making sure you didn't eat it and have a sugar buzz while drilling the tank.

·
Eternally Undecided
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I locally picked up two powerheads, 20 gallon long for my sump, and some rock.

Also ordered 40lbs of sand and 50 pounds of rock from reefrocks.net.

Last order of the day was for a CadLights TIA-1150 2nd Generation Conic skimmer

·
Eternally Undecided
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well not good news after ordering everything to finish my SW build. lastnight our CO detectors started going off. Had the fire department over and something is wrong with our furnace. I'm thankful we invested in CO detectors, if not, who knows what would have happened. We had no other warnings.

So we are going to see how much it will be to repair or replace our hvac at 715 am. If it's a full replacement I may have to sell everything I've been buying the last two months for th fowlr. but we are glad to be alive.

·
Eternally Undecided
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a full replacement of our 1981 Whirlpool furnace and a/c. $4250 and about 6-700 back in rebates. Hopefully we'll be able to keep going on the FOWLR setup. My wife had to dip into 401k so we could pay it. All I really need to keep going on this build is some live rock once all my base rock and sand arrives from reefrocks.net.

·
Eternally Undecided
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got my base rock from reefrocks.net. Ordered 50 pounds and got 55 so props to Steve. The sand is backordered. I need to figure out how to epoxy these together. I can't seem to find a decent way to stack them. I tried about a dozen different structures and don't like any of them. The two darker rocks are from a local reefer and the rest from Steve.

·
Saltwater Guru
692 Posts
looks pretty darn good just the way its placed in the pic..good luck on the build and glad your co2 detectors went off..and you and your family are ok

Rick

·
Eternally Undecided
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks pretty darn good just the way its placed in the pic..good luck on the build and glad your co2 detectors went off..and you and your family are ok

Rick
Here's what I ended up with the base rock in the tank. The live rock will probably go into the middle and make that higher.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts