Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got the tank and it will need some TLC before being used especially when it was suggested I do a leak test outside. Thanks, Richard.
From the previous Royal Pleco owner, I got an undergravel filter set up. My question... Do I use it or do something else. Its gonna take some time until the tank will be inside. I need to sandblast the iron stand and refinish it and clean out the tank.

Thanks for help
John

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I did the leak test and it passed now i have to clean off the grime. It looks like there was some sort of black material on the underside of the tank that has started to come off. Should I try to replace it with something else. i also would like to black out the back of the tank, what type of paint should I use? Could I use something with a texture or will that not show up in the inside of the tank?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just purchased a cascade 1000 from petco. They had 25% off all canister filters. Should I just run the filter on the established tank before the 70 is set up to go, or should I just use sponge filters to build up the bacteria load.

need input.
thank you
John B

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Run it on an establish tank, won't hurt a bit, make sure it a tank, that has no algae problems or anything else, as you will transfer those problems to your new tank. Also you can take a floss from a another filter and use that to seed this filter. If you use any bio-sphere or Cycle put it in the filter before priming it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
biosphere into the new filter before I place it into the established tank or before I put it into the new tank?

·
Registered
324 Posts
agreed, adding the new filter to your established tank, for a couple weeks, will cycle your filter and when you set up the new tank it will be ready for fish.

i would also think the biospira is not necessary if you run it on the old tank first.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay I Have a major problem....The stand I got is only 13 inches wide not the 18 needed for the tank.... Is there anyone out there would would need a 48x13 stand? or maybe a swap out. help Help

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Will I say we need to help you with that there tape messuring thing..... Not much you can do but find another stand. Still haveing fun right....LOL

Anyway, when you get the stand and you ran you new filter got it all slimed up and ready to fill the new tank, do it on the day you do a WC on another tank or 2 and add 10 gals of the dirty water to the new tank.... At that point, you will pretty much be cycled, except for the colony growing to the bio-load so if you add the fish slowly, you will have 0 lossies

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well after the 20% bleach solution cleaning, I still had that film on the inside glass, but when the glass was wet you could not see it, but when it dried it was there.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
is it a calcium build up, you should be able to carefully with will a glass tank cleaning pad, penm ples sells a kit cheap at LSF..... alittle elbow grease and and will be gone....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got it clean... next question. Anyone ever hear of using a power head in reverse on on underground filter, to the prefilter pad would catch all the debris and force the current up through the gravel? i was wondering how feasible it would be to rig it up this way.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Will I have never seen a filter to go on the (normally) the is discharge side of a power filter, REv flow are generally used just to clean out the UGF plates. Like I said before Look into the heater cables if you want a water flow pushing out of the gravel. there more benifits to have warm water flowing over the roots of plants.....

·
Registered
324 Posts
whatever you do under the gravel will be dug up by the Dempsey's.

however, many people use a reverse flow UGF, and some use Under gravel jets to keep waste suspended in the water column so the filter can take it out.

I've never used under gravel jets before (just read about them on line), but in theory they sound like something you may be interested in.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have and do use them, I don't think it was a question of using a UGF in the traditional way, I thinking he wants to use them to keep water flowing around the roots of plants. However if you look at the cost of aquaclear 70 with rev. flow switch, it is cheaper to buy the hydro cabel system because you need two of them to make that work. If you are using an UGF and want to clean it out, I use the suction tube of a canister filter and by palcing a pvc cap on the other lift tube and letting it run for a day and then do it to the other side, I can get most of the gunk under the UGF plates.
Now you don't need the temp. control with Hydro system, as you can just plug the cable in, and they are sold in tank sizes. If you want to be able to adjust the temp a couple af degrees high than the tank water so you get that up lift of warm water you need the contoller. Let say you want to run the tank at 76 degrees you set it heat cables at 78 degrees. Now if the tank heats up to 80 degrees like is common down here in FL. it would turn off taking that heat source away, but if it plug just into the wall, it will just stay on. I just bought the system and read up on it so I have a good ideal of cost verses benefits, againest the powerheads with a new UFG system (17.00) and the cable system. I still set up that 70 gal, I just being lazy at this time because i don't want to move a tank that is in the spot the wife wants the 70.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nope. only anubias on driftwood and java ferns. Im looking for a light for the tank but everything is over 150 watts, so that kinda puts the wattage over 2 a gallon. Might place some large amazons to break line of sight, but the tank lay out should be mostly rocky.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts