Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Newly infected with MTS.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, we're trying to figure out what to further stock our tank with. We currently have:

3 Silver Dollars (about quarter sized)
2 Gouramis (1 Opaline, 1 Gold)
1 Rainbow Shark

I think we're going to get some corys (3, Sterba's or Peppered). Is it okay to mix the types of these?

We'd like a centerpiece fish as well. I'd love a Severum of some sort, but fear those Dollars will get too big to accomodate one.

Any suggestions? No Angels. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think the silver dollars are going to be your centerpiece fish. They will grow to be about 6-7", and the 55 seems big but it is an awkward configuration - very narrow - so fish that like to swim are forced to go back and forth, back and forth, etc. and it gets crowded quickly with fish of that (adult) size.

I think you are well stocked, personally. I'd definitely get cory cats, but I'd get more - 6 or so, and they'll be happier if you stick with one species. They truly like to stick with others of their kind.

Sounds like a beautiful setup, especially once the silver dollars get big.

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
Eh, cories are good, definately get several, but the problem is that they remain at the bottom of the tank, and don't have much color. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of color in there. I would get a few more opaline and gold gouramis. They seem to do the best of the gouramis. Maybe look into some tetras. Whether you get small ones that won't mess up your limit of fish, or get a few larger tets that look nice, most are usually calm peaceful and very active. Also, look into danios. They are inexpensive, hardy, and personally, a beautiful fish if you go for the longfinned types.

·
Newly infected with MTS.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey all, just an update: The 2 new Silver Dollars are now in the main tank as of this past weekend. They jumped right in with the original 3, and are doing great so far. We have 3 Clown Loaches in the QT still, and are going to introduce them into the main tank next weekend.

We do plan to upgrade to a ~125gal, get 2 more Clowns and maybe a small schooling fish (cherry barbs or rainbows maybe?), then convert the 55 to probably either saltwater, or an African Cichlid tank.

·
Newly infected with MTS.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I have some in my gallery from back when the tank was first set up. I'll take some newer ones this weekend probably and post them up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts