Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I don't know what the heck happened to my tank over the last week, but half of my stock has ended up mysteriously dieing, including my black ghost :(

Can an item from a previous tank introduce something bad into the aquarium? I ask because I got my aquarium from craigslist and I didn't use anything from their set up but this one plant. When I noticed the plant stinking to high heaven I took it out and rinsed it and placed it back in and did a little adjustments to the decor. After that is when all the fish began to mysteriously die. The first molly was the same night I did that. The ghost knife fish who would always hide by the plant stayed on the opposite end of the tank from it ect... All of this happened right after a 15 to 20 gallon water change.

But anyway, that plant decoration is now OUT of my tank and I placed some new plants in and have went back to some hardier fish. I ended up losing 3 out of 4 balloon belly mollies, 1 gold gourami, and the black ghost knife.

New set up is the 2 original blue gold gourami, 1 surviving molly, 1 rupperlip pleco (he's still ok), 1 gold gourami (it's partner was sick I think as it died off a few days after getting it), 1 ryukin goldfish, and 7 rosy red minnow.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Yes that could have killed your fish.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

When I bought the aquarium I was more interested in the tank itself and removed everything they had in it from the decorations to substrate, bought a new filter and heater and cleaned it up. Why I put that plant back in I don't know. Live and learn I guess.

·
....has no life....
12,629 Posts
Clean everything that was in it with a bleach-water solution and you could use any of them.

How long has this tank been up and running?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had the tank cycling since mid June, then began adding in the fish in groups in July. I picked up the ghost knife fish first, but I wasn't planning on getting one because I couldn't find one at first. So when I did find one I changed plans and used the plant to provide more hides for it, but after two weeks it began to have the fowl smell to it and that's when the above started.

The knife fish wouldn't even go back to that area for any length of time, I've not seen the pleco over there for very long either, despite having it removed now.

My nitrites where up today, so I did a water change and vacuumed any un eaten bits of food I could see. So I'm just watching that now. I took the "death plant" as I call it out for good three days ago, so I'm testing frequently and trying to stabilize this out.

·
....has no life....
12,629 Posts
Can you post your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Any readings for ammonia or nitrite can be deadly to your fish. You could have had mulitple things that killed your fish.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I've been away most of the day. I only have the test strips to go by, but my Ammonia readings are at 0, Nitrate is at 40, and Nitrite at 10 :(

Today I added in a few live plants (didn't have any in before) and did about a 50% water change and added in some AmQuel Plus. After work tomorrow I'm going to run by the store and look at an oxygen pump too.

I think its going through another cycle now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Alright, I'm prepping for this cycle to complete. I've relocated the smaller fish to a 10 gallon tank for now to cut down the fish load, cut back feeding to just once a day, added in some more plants, and doing daily water changes.

Here's hoping for the best, so far I've seen a fall in the nitrates, and what looks like a lowering of nitrite, these stupid strips are useless in emergency situations as this! Going to get the liquid testers when I can spare it.

Edit:
Ok, this morning I noticed a slight decrease in the color for nitrite. So it looks as if it's beginning to drop. When I was attempting the cycle I used a product called cycle to introduce good bacteria and both filters bio media has growth in it. So should I add in some more of that now or let it go on with this cycle or whatever has happened?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts