Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 5 gallon acrylic tank. I've got a small filter and heater in there, with plastic plants and log. Currently, I only have one male betta in the tank. I'm considering getting a small school of neon tetras as well, maybe 5. Is this too many fish for the small tank?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Allright, so the 5-gallon has been set up for a little less than a week. I did a 20% water change yesterday. The betta is doing fine. He's eating, and swimming actively; flared at me a few times, but he seems interested as well. Everytime I get close to the tank, he swims right up to me and watches me. It's pretty funny.

I've actually decided to hold off on the neon tetras as originally planned. I don't want to take a chance of them nipping at the betta's fins. Instead, I plan on adding a small school of bronze corys, maybe 4-5.

Would it be too soon to add the corys? I know the tank is still cycling, but it would be nice to add a few of them in. Maybe 3 at first, and the rest later.

Opinions & advice?

In Christ,

Michael

·
Registered
97 Posts
Corys are tough fishes, better add 5 in once instead of first 3 and later 2.

I did a new setup for my aquarium and waited just 3 or 4 days before
putting the corrys in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No bacteria yet. I'll get some of that floss. This is my first tank after a 2 year hiatus of keeping goldfish in one tank and livebearers in another.

I added the corys today after acclimating them to the water temp. They're going crazy, swimming everywhere, but staying together. I can't tell what the betta feels though. He seems curious about them at times, and other times stays away and hides. Is this normal when introducing new fish to a betta? This is the first time I've had a betta with other fish.

Please advise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts