Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
10g with 2 apistogramma borellii, 37 with 1 Dwarf Gourami, 11 Colombian Tetras, 1 Hillstream Loach.
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 37 gallon community tank that im currently thinking of redoing fish wise, Im not opposed either to removing and shifting the decor, but currently I am more concerned with what I would put in it. For my entire life I have loved salmon and trout, I think they are just absolutely Majestic. And after seeing a hill trout I can't help but want to make a trout lookalike tank. However I know that my tank is WAY to small for hill trout and Right now Im wondering about any other trout lookalikes. I have seen Celestial Pearl Danios, but they don't have the personality and activity of what I'm looking for. I want some sort of fish that will swim quickly and like some sort of current, the main problem im having is that these fish I'm so in love with generally need a 3 foot tank at least, so my 2.5 feet footprint often won't fly, any suggestions are welcome
I have relatively hard water, don't know the exact but probably 8 dGH or somthing, and I have a higher ph of about ~7.6 maybe 7.4, maybe 7.8 can't really tell

· Registered
10g with 2 apistogramma borellii, 37 with 1 Dwarf Gourami, 11 Colombian Tetras, 1 Hillstream Loach.
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What fish do/will you have in there with them? If you're looking for a shoal, maybe congo tetras? Otherwise, maybe a smaller cichlid, like a krib or apisto?
Right now thinking of the specific fish and planning the rest around it, so I honestly don't know.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Larger tetras or CPDs are really the only things I can come up with. The smaller cichlids don't really look like trout, but they do have neat personalities.
I have a pair of Apistogramma Borellii And I can Second that.
But honestly Im mostly looking for a fish that has small vertical oval patters (like a salmon Parr) and Swims fast in current (like Danio or Salmonids)

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right Now Im thinking About some devario species, Mainly Devario Maetaengensis, They honestly fit most of the criteria

· Registered
414 Posts
They aren't very trout looking but I love my Glow Light Danio's (Celestichthys choprae).
They are great in a group, school and shoal and now that they are mature their colors are amazing.
They are super active and have alot of really cool behaviors.

· Registered
66 Posts
I give up. No Danio, No celestial pearl danios, you don't like what we have that fits the description. There's just no chance you'll find anything else. Just look at some rainbow fish for cying out loud. Try getting a 700 gallon tank and toss some trout in it for all I care. I literally don't know there's no alternative. Just browse a tetra forum or something please. This gives me a headache. I'm out.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They aren't very trout looking but I love my Glow Light Danio's (Celestichthys choprae).
They are great in a group, school and shoal and now that they are mature their colors are amazing.
They are super active and have alot of really cool behaviors.
Oh hi Gamegurl (Im on apistogramma.com alot and saw your post, that how I know you) I actually have been looking at the danionins and have stumbled upon a ponential perfect fish, that being Devario Maetaengensis, the fire bar danio!
And I also have found out about Devario Prathirana, the Barred Danio, Both these fish Fit Criteria!
Fin Underwater Water Fish Terrestrial plant

Fin Fish Underwater Marine biology Water
Devario Prathirana Devario Maetaengesis

· Registered
414 Posts
Zmouvek, I don't think you would be disappointed with that choice. Those are really neat looking and I would expect they have similar behaviors to my Glow Lights.
They are endlessly entertaining except I think mine might be thinking of breeding and one of the females is being a real pill.
Good luck :)

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do really like Glowlight danios and seeing as Devario.ssp that aren't the giant danio are pretty rare, I probably might just do that.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Then you could get different colors too, that would be a cool display. How many are you thinking of?
If I get glowlights im probably going to get somthing on the order of 15, I feel like most quick swimming fish look best in larger groups, that way it becomes a cacophony of motion, Maybe i would get 10 Glowlights and later on find some Devario Maetaengesis or Prathirana, I have accedentally bred my Colombian Tetras (got six now have 11) (the secret is Large gravel) so I probably will accedentally breed them too in my tank.

· Registered
234 Posts
If I get glowlights im probably going to get somthing on the order of 15, I feel like most quick swimming fish look best in larger groups, that way it becomes a cacophony of motion, Maybe i would get 10 Glowlights and later on find some Devario Maetaengesis or Prathirana, I have accedentally bred my Colombian Tetras (got six now have 11) (the secret is Large gravel) so I probably will accedentally breed them too in my tank.
Makes feeding time more exciting, like a tank full of piranha

1 - 20 of 26 Posts