Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my two discus fish from Drs Foster & Smith and did the break in process but the two fish are always nudging each other and not really eating well and still are very clororless ---

Water is dialed in and all other fish are non threatening -

Is this normal?

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
You have posted in other areas of the forum that your water quality is not the best and you have been having tank problems so don't be surprised. These fish are not going to do their thing until everything is to their liking and it is not yet. Fish keeping as a hobby is not something that a person should be getting into unless they are willing to exercise some patience as patience is a large part of the hobby. Nothing in fish keeping can be done in a hurry and in this case I would say that things are progressing a bit fast.

Rose

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have learned the hard way in terms of adding too many fish and believe this was the reason my water spiked and killed my last set of fish.

Since then I'm more nuerotic about water quality therefore I test it obsessively in order to learn more while getting advice here and from a friend who has been in the business all his life.

Water was fine but spiked with the addition of new fish last time so I introduced the 2 small barbs, 2 discus, 10 ghost shrimp, 4 clams --- was this too many at once?

Water is fine and only slowly started to rise slightly after adding the fish which I heard was normal but posted my concern but never heard that it may be a normal thing when introducing new fish to a tank?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pictures and my concern - cloudy eyes and lack of color - water perameters are good except higher than I want ph - water is tad cloudy due to moving a few plants and triming.

Attachments

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
To answer your question, yes there were to many added at once. You should only add 2 or 3 at a time to let your bacteria colony build up. The discus should be the last added, and should be added to perfect water conditions for them.

I would suggest doing 25% water changes daily until your tank water is at normal levels. Use part RO water during these changes to soften your water some. The lower the ph the less damage the spikes will do.

·
discus_dude
215 Posts
your discus is not at all healthy.the are sick..provide them some medicines.and for colour yoy can give them "tetra bits"...

·
Fish CrAzY!!
197 Posts
Discus are very sensitive, even ph that's a little to high will cause them to lose there color. What did they look like when they first came?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts