42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a FOLWR its a 29 gallon tank. Fish i am really intirested in are;
Ocellaris Clownfish
Firefish
Redtail Filefish
Falco Hawkfish
Half Black Angel or Eibli angel
Filefish or angel fish would probably be the last addition. Help?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ocellaris clowns (pair preferrably) and firefish (do best in groups of 3 or more) would be perfect for sure. Falco would be fine, but would probably harrass/eat most small inverts; it could work though. My Eibli is in a 60g tank and acts like she owns the place. She is much more aggressive and territorial than I was expecting her to be and she's a terrible fin nipper. If all Eiblis are like mine, it would eat the fins right off a firefish of filefish. So, I'd recommend not getting one of those. As for that filefish, they get a little big for a 29g tank. I wouldn't put it in anything less than a 60g IMO. Filefish can be very finicky eaters and I wouldn't recommend getting one for a first tank.

Often-overlooked groups of fish are gobies and blennies. There are tons of cool species that you should look into. Check out these pages for neat blenies and gobies:
Blennies: Blenny Fish Species Including Bicolor, Striped and other Blennies
Gobies for Sale: Goby Fish Species Including Shrimp Gobies

Any other fish you were considering?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually yes i was also considering a bicolor blenny, a royal gramma, and a theres one other fish that i saw in a youtube video that i don't know what it is but i am looking to see if i can find it =]

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think all angels are nippers, but the really small dwarf angels ("cherub angel") or C. argi are a little better, just because they're so small. And just gorgeous. Royal grammas are perfect and bicolor blennies are good community salt water fish. Just don't put too many fish in there! Though it's definitely tempting....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is indeed very tempting with all the beautiful fish. I was thinking about having a Bicolor Blenny, Ocellaris Clownfish pair, Firefish, Six line Wrasse, and a Royal Gramma, obviously all added over time, but do you think this would be too much?

·
Registered
724 Posts
No, I think would be fine. You won't be able to add any more fish though, because that'll be about max bioload for that size tank. And you'll need plenty of rockwork so they can hide from eachother any time they need to. One less fish would probably be a little bit safer as far as aggression goes. A single firefish is likely to get harrassed in a tank on its own. On that topic, something to think about is an arrangement that makes your fish the happiest. For example, firefish are much more content in groups of 3 or more just like clowns are less aggressive when kept in pairs. So if you really want firefish, maybe get a small school of them instead of having singles of a bunch of fish. Just something to think about. There a re endless options.

If you do wind up keeping that many fish in your tank (I'm not one to talk since I always have max. bioload in my tanks as long as everyone gets along), make sure you do plenty of water changes. I do a 25% water change on every one of my tanks once a week whether or not they need it. It's just a good habit to get into.

Can't wait to hear what you decide on. When are you starting to set up your tank?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay thank you very much, i was thinking about not getting the firefish and maybe getting some kind of goby. I am going to start the tank tomorrow and I'm gettin all my live rock and sand wednesday.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Take some pics and post them one you get the LR and sand in your tank; looking forward to seeing it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts