Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something showed up to my door the other day.

Been really wanting to try a short tank high tech and try to make something more purposeful. (Instead of my jungle builds. :) )

Currently, the plans.

Repurpose stand! Kinda short, not sure how crazy I am about that.

Painted back of tank (1st coat) Black cuz thats what I had. I am a fan of blue background.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Plans:
Sand substrate, Black.
hanging t5ho 48" lights (cuz it's what I got.) two bulbs. 6000k
edit: Put 48" lights over 36" tank, moved 36" light to 30" (20g) tank.
presurized co2

thinking about Staurogyne repens for ground, and using a 2nd plant or two for background. Wanna keep it simple.

Oh, small school of neons too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looking good! Can't wait for the finished product so all of us can make a 20 long thread haha. With that aquaclear, all you have to worry about is the water fall moving your sand.

I have a canister in my tank that is rated for 70 gallons and the outflow creates plenty of current, a little bit too much to where the fish (including neons) were getting stressed even with the flow at half output. so as for the circulation pump, I would get one way less than 500gph haha. I really have no clue on what size circulation pump you should get, but i hope you find one with the perfect current, neons and cardinals shoal in higher current.

Oh and my plants are doing perfect with little to no algae with a t5HO 24 inch, with only one 24w bulb at 9 hours, so maybe try using one bulb first?

Have you thought about going with a small cardinal tetra school? More colorful to me IMO :D
What type of fertilization will you do?

Goodluck!

100th post yay!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking good! Can't wait for the finished product so all of us can make a 20 long thread haha. With that aquaclear, all you have to worry about is the water fall moving your sand.

I have a canister in my tank that is rated for 70 gallons and the outflow creates plenty of current, a little bit too much to where the fish (including neons) were getting stressed even with the flow at half output. so as for the circulation pump, I would get one way less than 500gph haha. I really have no clue on what size circulation pump you should get, but i hope you find one with the perfect current, neons and cardinals shoal in higher current.

Oh and my plants are doing perfect with little to no algae with a t5HO 24 inch, with only one 24w bulb at 9 hours, so maybe try using one bulb first?

Have you thought about going with a small cardinal tetra school? More colorful to me IMO :D
What type of fertilization will you do?

Goodluck!

100th post yay!
Funny you mentioned the aquaclear. I woke up this am to a none running aquaclear. It’s been sucking sand, and I guess too much sand. When it cascaded into the tank, it move the sand A LOT, but with proper water height, the sand barely moved. I have a prefilter on the aquaclear, but it appears to be too porous. :D Gonna get a better sponge or see if I can find something else.

Circulation pump is on the back burner, unless I change up the filter to something with alot less flow. I do agree 500gph should be too much. (Hey, it was on sale! :D)

The diffuser is junk too. It's a used fluval 88g, bubbles are way too big. I'm in the process of seeing if I can service it. I also have a second 88g. I'll see how that is. Otherwise, another atomic will be acquired.

Lights. I believe, and ime, excess light can be mitigated by more co2 ! Unfortunately this light doesn’t allow only one bulb. If light becomes an issue, I will try to increase co2, and/or adjust height of light (raise it). It currently has a 12,000K and a pink (6500K) light in it. Oh, the 48” light went ontop of the 37, and the 37 light went ontop of the 20.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you opt out for a new filter, you can get a fluval 306 like mine for around 80-90 dollars on ebay, they are brand new and they actually are coming from petcos in different states. I found this out because when i won the auction on one it came with a petco online order invoice. I wouldnt go with a 206 because they are known to have hardware problems and start to leak in the long run. If you do get a fluval canister, you could make a spray bar and get just about 100% diffusion. I have the fluval 88g diffuser also and it runs at about 2-3 bps. any higher i risk gassing my fish because i can see it breathing heavily. but i still need to verify my co2 levels with a drop checker that is coming in soon.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm looking for a new filter. I'll check out that 306, although am not a fan of fluval.

Day 6 Fishless Cycle
Ammonia: 8ppm or higher. :O I haven't added ammonia yesterday or today.
NO2: .25ppm (or tad more)
NO3: 10ppm ( actually surprised I have no3 today.)

Planning to just ride out the high ammonia for a day or two more, if still high, gonna do a water change.

Oh, got couple new couplings, Thanks Old Punk!

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
I think by having your ammonia so high in the beginning you stalled your cycle.The fishless cycle stickie even says this could happen with NO3 levels over 4-5.I would not add any ammonia till it is almost 0 and then just enough (less than 4) to hopefully watch it go back to 0 in 24 hrs.It looks like you're getting close though.Good luck!

·
....has no life....
12,629 Posts
Not true. Continuously adding the ammonia will actually drive the nitrites down sooner. There is no need to test for ammonia in a fishless cycle beyond the first day to determine how much it takes to get to 4ppm and then again when the nitrites have zeroed. My last two tanks finished within 2days of each other doing it this way. We worry too much about the ammonia when once the processing of it starts it is gone in less than a day....same for nitrites. I think you should have kept dosing 1/2 amount you started with and every 3-4 days. I believe it would be over by now.

at this point it sounds like a water change will probably finish it out.

I may have some S. Repens when you're ready for it...if you need some.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm testing all three to show the progress. I did have in my mind that 4ppm was a target to try to stay near, instead of just letting ammonia sail thru the roof. But in doing so have deviated from the fishless cycle method listed here. (Which is an excellent point..) I'll start over and not deviate from the method listed here.

Honestly, I just wanna see my tank cycle in 10 days so I can be a true believer! :D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts