Aquarium Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

· Registered
20 gallon tank with driftwood and some plastic plants
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You can buy pure ammonia from walmart. Just make sure no additives and don't suds. or buy this, from Chewy, Ebay or Amazon
View attachment 33689
Does this bottle allow you to drip from the cap,all I've seen is adding drops,or how much would I measure in a measuring cup or with teaspoons? I may have some ammonia already here.

· Registered
133 Posts
So, despite the wood is already releasing taninns years later, is it going to lower the pH down to a certain level at all times(consistently)? Or does it affect the pH at all? I'm wanting to know how to make water more acidic, so will the driftwood be a good start? I think the wood looks cool as a bonus, but I am not trying to boil mine because I like taninns.
I'm suddenly realizing the addition of Ammonia might actually help. I've already added API quickstart to my tank, which I think is Nitrifying Bacteria, so if I add ammonia, that'll speed up the cycling process too? I've never thought to directly add what I was trying to get rid of to get rid of it. This is BRILLIANT!!

· Registered
381 Posts
How much tannins effect your PH in your tank depends on a lot of different things. I've got a huge piece of mopani in my 75, nice and tea stained water, but my PH is still rock solid at 7.5, because my water is hard with a lot of KH. It depends on your water out of the tap, as well as stocking (fish, inverts and plants can all effect PH), substrate choice and other decorations as to if tannins will effect PH, and by how much.

· Premium Member
311 Posts
Yeah,seems wrong though, I really don't know if I'll buy fish from the now,sounds a little dishonest to me, so I'll probably go elsewhere or online. I'm sure my Petsmart has ammonia as well. So I'll get everything from them to get started. Thanks for your time today,hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Your LFS will have some things that PM won't and vice versa. But not all LFS are created equal. All I am getting at is keep an open mind about all of your Pet Stores. Get to know staff by first name.

Absorb what is useful and discard what is not...

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Your LFS will have some things that PM won't and vice versa. But not all LFS are created equal. All I am getting at is keep an open mind about all of your Pet Stores. Get to know staff by first name.

Absorb what is useful and discard what is not...
Thanks, that's good advice, I really DO like my LFS people and the stores look great as well, i appreciate it.

· Registered
382 Posts
Peat moss, Driftwood, indian almond leaves, injection of co2(planted tank only), ro water are all good ways to lower ph. Peat moss works for few days at a time. Better for small tanks. With co2 you have to make sure your not pumping too much into the tank. Itll suffocate the fish. Drift wood only works if you have big pieces or alot of it. Indian almond leaves do great with other botanicals. And ro ro/di can work done correctly. But its all up to you to figure out what you want. I have 5 different aquariums with all different scapes. It what I like. Sometimes ill move fish just to rescape the land and plants. Fun fun. Lol

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Just add in drops to reach a certain amount. add a couple drops wait a few and test, then add more as needed. I used a medicine dropper
[/QUOTE
I am finally ready to cycle my tank to get ready to add fish. I have my bacteria starter, water conditioner that the pet store told me I needed, and ammonia. I recently read where when you use ammonia you don't use anything that reduces ammonia and the bacteria starter reduces ammonia. Which way is the best way to cycle a fishless tank, thanks.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I also have another question, Is it a good idea to go ahead and get some fish meds and supplies that would be used in the quarantine tank and have on hand in case of having a sick fish, or would i have enough time to go to the LFS and get what i need and then start treating the water?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts