Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
beginner freshwater planted aquarium
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The first , most important question is how do I deal with nitrates? my tank is now cycled and I test daily with the master test kit. But for some reason my nitrates are sticking at 10/20 ppm. I do water changes and it stays the same. I tested the water before adding to the tank and it has 0 nitrates. My tank is 10 gallon , moderately planted. My stock is 1 betta, 6 neon tetra and a few Amano shrimp. I dont think its ovetstocked, but Im trying to figure out why the nitrites remain high but ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm. I perform gravel vacs where I can during water changes, because of the plants and hardscape I cant gravel vac the whole tank. I feed in a feeding bowl so that food does not end up on the tank floor. Any tips? I will obviously keep water changes frequent. Im not sure if my plants are causing nitrate spikes instead of dealing with them. They mostly seem healthy, and I dont have soil so I use root tabs under every plant but occasionally I have to remove a dead stem or leaf .

My second question is about Betta water flow, I have a 50/53 litre tank , just over 10 gallons. My filter is powerful but adjustable, I have lowered the output rate to 200 litres per hour or 40 gallons, I read this was the lowest I could go. But I still see my betta hiding from the waterflow most of the day. I tried blocking the water flow to slow it down further but then I had BBA growing in a dead zone that had no flow, After I removed and fixed the BBA I had to go back to 40 gallons per hour unobstructed flow. The Betta, Rocky, seems healthy and he always comes to me when I approach the tank, he is eating well, pellets and blood worms that I hand feed him so they dont sink and rot. What do you guys think? I'll include a short video of my setup

2 min video of my tank : I realise I called the tetras 'bettas', just a brain fart

Short video of rocky :

· Registered
699 Posts
I replied on your other thread not knowing this one was here.
In my opinion 10-20 Nitrate is not a bad thing. My tank has stayed at 10-20ppm Nitrate since it has cycled.
People have told me that there are certain species that cannot tolerate that Nitrate level but I have had no issues.
I am not experienced with the Bettas so will let others advise you there but at that Nitrate level I wouldn't worry to much.
I may be corrected and that's ok to. Cheers to your cycled tank :)
PS: Really nice looking tank

· Registered
beginner freshwater planted aquarium
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replied on your other thread not knowing this one was here.
In my opinion 10-20 Nitrate is not a bad thing. My tank has stayed at 10-20ppm Nitrate since it has cycled.
People have told me that there are certain species that cannot tolerate that Nitrate level but I have had no issues.
I am not experienced with the Bettas so will let others advise you there but at that Nitrate level I wouldn't worry to much.
I may be corrected and that's ok to. Cheers to your cycled tank :)
PS: Really nice looking tank
I saw, Thanks for both replies. I will continue my water changes and hope for the best. I was hoping when the tank cycled my days of daily water changes were behind me o_O

· Registered
357 Posts
10-20 nitrate is a non-issue for me as well. As for the water flow question, I've never had luck with HOBs and bettas. In my opinion, your best bet is to get a small sponge filter. You can take the media out of the HOB and just place it in the tank temporarily while the new sponge filter establishes, that way you don't have to worry too much about crashing your tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts