Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 120 gallon I plan on setting up over the winter. I am not sure what I am going to stock it with. I have been kicking around the idea of a native tank with species from here in IN. I have also thought about a community tank just for the looks and a little easier to maintain. I have been trying to decide whether I want to go with two Aqua Clear 110 or 1 canister filter (not sure which brand yet). Id like to hear a few different opinions pro's and con's of both.
I just set up a 75 with an Aqua Clear 110 that I am currently cycling and I like it so far. I used to have an old magnum 350 years ago but I only had it for a few months. It seemed alright at the time though.
Also would one type be better then the other if I decide to get some low light live plants? I would like to stay under $200.00. I can get the two Aqua Clears for $160.00 locally.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hard to say. Canisters are nice cause you have room for media... But two Acua clears will move a higher GPR.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Typically canister filters would be better for live plants. HOB's churn the water surface a lot and cause the outgassing of CO2. As a side note, I like canisters better because they are easier to customize with different media and are usually quieter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hands down a canister filter is the best IMO. The problem is which canister to buy.
1) price( a canister is gonna cost alot more but the performance/customization of a canister is worth the extra money.
2)performance/gph ( there are many different sizes/models of canister filters, pick one that is rated for more than your tank size)
3)model ( many different makers of canister filters, Eheim,Fluval, Hagen, Rena, Marineland just to name a few. Look at models from companies your familiar with or there are many different threads here about choosing the best canister filter for your individual needs/tank requirements. Hope this helps good luck with your fishes.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Canister for sure. Better for live plants because it leaves more CO2 in the water for plants to use like obscbyclouds said.
I'm a fan of Eheim and Fluval. I've had an Eheim canister filter on a 60g FOWLR tank for over 15 years and never had a problem. Superior engineering IMO

·
Registered
271 Posts
considering you are planning to go with low light plants, you do not need to worry about co2.
also, you will likely get more media volume, and a higher flow rating (making for better mech & bio filtration) if you go with 2 ac110 over a canister. and since you already have one, you are looking at spending less for a second aquaclear110 rather than a canister.
the only "downside" is that the 2 HOB will be more bulky than running a single canister. but if you have space behind your tank, and dont mind the 2 intake pipes in the tank, i would just get a second ac110.

·
dankest chef u wont meet
52 Posts
Cannister, mainly because they're out of the way of sight, and they work really well. Not to mention they make a fraction of the noise a HOB does

1 - 7 of 7 Posts