Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Haris
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

This is my first time setting up a tank and I researched a lot about it on the net, also I went to some aquarium stores to get feedback. Right now I am thinking about what kind of filters should I use (after filling up my tank of course) for the 180g aquarium I have. I read somewhere about a guy who was using 2 Aquaclear 110's for his 125 gallon tank and said the water was crystal clear. Would 2 Aquaclear 110's be good for my 180 gallon tank or should I get 3 of them?

I am a bit low on cash so I would like any other advice on how to get cheaper filters if there are any and would perform as good.

Also I had some questions about the gravel I should put in:
1) What kind of gravel should I use?
2) I calculated that I might need 175 - 200 lbs of gravel...Not sure if that's right, my tank's base is 7ft x 2 ft.
3) The gravel I saw in the aquarium shop costs a lot, any advice on getting cheaper ones?

Thanks a lot all!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have one of them on a 75G tank that is crystal clear and two of them on my 120G tank that is not as clear. I do have driftwood in the tank so I am assuming this is the reason. I would think they are NOT enough for a tank that size. I assume since you have a tank that big that you are going to have some larger fish in there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have 3 of them on my 180.

As for your gravel you need 1lb per gallon - you can get 25lb bags from Petco (the LFS near me only sells the 5lb bags).

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
If i had a big tank like that, Id be going for cannisters and not Hang-on-back filters.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I have a 210 with a aquapro 300 AND an eheim pro 3 2080.

I compared canisters because I am using it pretty much for my Co2 reactor and the eheim pro 3 is the best bang for your buck.(and the best option, sure its 450 bucks but its worth every penny filtration wise, I keep discus in this tank with angels and rams, my water has to be pristine)

you require 720gph of filtration for the 180g pending it has average waste producing fish.

My 52g has a AP175 wet dry on it. with a hang on overflow CPR100.

HOB is kinda out the window for you on that size tank, Id go with a wet dry filter over a canister or have the canister for a kicker filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts