Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
New Member Manager
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start, I know that there are a lot of threads about how to start an all planted tank and what not, but what makes this unique, is that it is going to be in a tiny 2.5g...

So like I said, since it is a 2.5g, what type of lighting would be prefferable? I plan on growing low to medium intensity plants. What substrate should I use? I never tried it, but is flourite any good? I am absolutly clueless when it comes to CO2 pumps. Can you all educate me on them? Also, i plan to put in a few ghost or red cherry shrimp. What do you guys think about it? I need your help. :)

Thanks!

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
i dont know too much about planting plants but i do know that a amazon sword would be way too big for that and you can probably keep shrimp in there as well

wait for susan to complete my answer lol

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've seen some really small tetras at my lfs... can't think of their name right now. There was also something else, had a weird name almost like a person's name. Enders... something or other. The things were REALLY small. Those would work.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have a 5g planted tank with some random swords (they're from a friend's tank, so I'm not sure what species they are, although they look like Amazon Swords, but much smaller), a java fern, and some java moss. I have a 1/4-1/2 in. layer of flourite underneath another 1/2-3/4 in. of medium-sized gravel and some river stones. I just have a standard aquarium spectrum bulb and that seems to do the trick and a little AquaClear filter. I have a couple otos and some fancy guppies in there along with some ghost shrimp. It's been up and running for a little over a year now.

Do cherry shrimp! They love all the plants and they look great. Maybe a big Nerita snail or two. If you want to do fish, Endler's livebearers stay small and are pretty hardy IMO. Maybe a few of those??? This will be a really cool tank; I think the tiny one's are lots of fun

·
Registered
724 Posts
They are gorgeous little fish. I guess it depends on how often you want to do water changes. You can do a 2.5g with some micro swords and other really small plants, maybe even a java fern, with some cherry reds and a couple snails. I mean, a 5g would be easier and you could definitely put some fish in there; a 2.5g is pretty small, but can be done. I think these pico/nano tanks are great; they're really unique and super cool to put together. I'm thinking you would have to change out a gallon of water every 3 days or so; the plants would help a lot in keeping the water clean. I say go for the 2.5g. If it just isn't working out you can always switch it over to a 5g instead.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I love those little Endlers Livebearers and my local fish dude has some but I've got an Angel fish (even though it's a baby) and I'm sure they'd just end up fish food.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yeah, Endlers would unfortunately make good angel fish food. You can always set up another tank....... =) That's my solution to everything related to incompatible fish

·
Registered
756 Posts
No need for CO2, a DiY would over dose them. Flourite works great as a gravel that is rich in iron and other nutrients, just be sure to rinse it several times before setting up the tank (10x minimum). Go with a lot of dwarf species of plants and play around with the lighting, since the normal wpg does not apply with a tank that small and shallow.

I would suggest a variety or 2 of shrimp and celestial pearl danios. These stay very small and have excellent coloring if you can find any!

Also known as Galaxy Rasboras

·
New Member Manager
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Money is tight these days, so im holding off with my aquarium stuff untill I have some steady money. :/ Not making as much as I would like. I will deffently revive this thread when I get around to making this tank.

Do you guys think these are good?

Lighting: Perch-Light Compact Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting Fixtures | Compact Fluorescent Straight Pin Bulbs | Bulbs & Lamps | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Substrate: Straight flourite.

Plants: Eleocharis parvula/Dwarf Hairgrass, Anubias nana/Dwarf Anubias, and I cant think of another type of plant that would suit a small 2.5g...

Will Java Ferns grow too large for my tank size? Also, is anyone familiar with Hemianthus callitrichoides/Hemianthus 'Cuba', HC?

Livestock: 4-6 red cherry shrimp.

Any interjections are welcome and appreciated. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts