Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an Oceanic reef-ready 150 tall that I got for cheep on Craig's List. I covered the drilled holes with 1/4" glass pieces (all except for one that is plumbed for easy draining of the tank), painted the stand and hood, and transferred the contents of my 55gal to it. I want to thank everyone for their help with getting this tank ready to go.

It has Quikrete Play Sand substrate, and except for some cabomba and a couple of swords, all of the plants are from the 55. I cannot believe how stuffed with plants that tank was! The rock pile on the far left hides a PVC pipe that is capped and has holes drilled all around it, plumbed to a hose spigot on the side of the tank stand. This way I can attach a garden hose to it and run it out the door, draining the tank for water changes without sucking any fish or sand out with it. It is filtered with a Fluval XF5 (this thing is the size of a shop vac) and the Rena Filstar XP4 that was running on the 55. This will stay as is while the new filter (Fluval) builds its colony of biobugs, then I am considering filling the XP4 with peat to lower the pH. This is just an experiment - nobody in this tank is suffering from my water as is - the rainbows and white clouds are 5-8 years old.

Inhabitants include 8 Boesemani rainbows, many, many Endler's and guppies, white cloud minnows, and a dozen Corydoras trilineatus. I plan on a few rubberlip (Chaetostoma sp.) plecos or bristlenose (Ancistrus sp) plecos, and hopefully some angels if I can find some wild types. So, another community planted tank for me! I do have plans to branch out - I've sold off my Africans in the 40 gal and have redone the tank in preparation for 3 South American puffers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The interesting thing about the Boesemanis is that I had never seen them from the front-on view before, like swimming directly towards me, because in the 55 they tended to swim side to side only, like prisoners in front of their bars - back and forth, lol. Now they have room to swim and they could not be happier. I am getting much better activity from them now with all the room. Now they can swim towards me and I get a much better look at them, and how fat and bumpy they are. I love 'em.

·
Newly infected with MTS.
46 Posts
You know, I think my Silver Dollars will be that way once in a bigger tank as well. Even though they're still quite small, they always go back & forth, except when hiding from my arm in the tank lol.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know, I think my Silver Dollars will be that way once in a bigger tank as well. Even though they're still quite small, they always go back & forth, except when hiding from my arm in the tank lol.
Yes, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised when you move them. After keeping a 55g for so many, many years I think I must say it is my least favorite tank ever! The 55g is so narrow that I'd rather stock a tank with fewer gallons but with a wider footprint. My 40g breeder has much happier fish than the slim 55. No offense to die-hard 55g owners - it is an extremely popular tank size - but the narrowness causes fish to be unable to behave in a natural manner. JMO!

My 55g is now home to a breeding pair of tokay geckos - they are thrilled with their new digs, and it makes a much better terrarium than aquarium. :cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How come the shot of the whole tank has such low resolution? I've got a 10 megapixel camera but I'm not getting that kind of clear shot of the tank. Any advice on the settings I should use?

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
Beautiful! Nice work. I agree the 55 is just too narrow while a 75 has the same footprint side to side.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I already have a smallish school of cardinal tetras in there now, added since I took the pics, but there is tons of room still. I am still building on the inhabitants. In a tank this size there is no reason not to keep the rainbows along with a school of tetras.

In my 20+ years keeping aquariums, when tanks are cloudy they are overstocked (remove some of the fish), experiencing a bacterial bloom (wait it out, do nothing), are going through some sort of mini cycle (ammonia or nitrite will register, at least a trace, on test kits, and the fish are not behaving normally), or you are going to have a green water bloom, which is due to excess nutrients in the water column, cured by blackouts or preferably a UV filter, followed by a more rigorous PWC regimen in the future. It can also be due to inadequate filtration for the tank, partly related to how the tank is stocked.

Here is a pic of a few of the cardinals, half of the school I added (they don't always stick together). There are also some cuttings of plants taken from other tanks, including water wisteria, sunset hygro, and moneywort that I recently added.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Looks great!

Be very careful adding fish to a tank this size. I would go with a 1 week holding tank (lightly medicated 10-20g) before moving them over to this tank.

What kind of lighting do you have on this? The reason I ask is because you are going from a 55 to a 150 tall. Now that the depth has changed, watch for changes in your plants and possible algae blooms depending on your lighting.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will certainly be careful - I am using my 40-gallon as a Q-tank. Melafix for about 10 days and then slowly adding them to the 150.

As for lighting, I am using the 4x65w CF Coralife fixture that used to be on the 55 when I was using pressurized CO2 and daily dosing of ferts:

This regimen (plus daily hacking back of the plants) got to be too much of a chore so I cut back on the lighting and sold off my more persnickety plants, and went to about 1.5 wpg.

Now, the 4x65w is not quite adequate for my needs, especially since it is mounted up in the hood, a little over a foot away from the surface of the water. I am going to add pressurized CO2 to this tank, even with the lower lighting, because it always helps, but I am probably going to add the 1x65w cf fixture I have lying around, which I will try lying directly on the 1.5' glass brace that runs across the center of the tank.

I do not like the old WPG rule since there are so many variables - the plants at the bottom of this 2' deep tank are very far away from that light fixture. I need to use my plants as a gauge, and I think I need more light, lol. I am dosing a comprehensive plant fert now (Tropica Master Grow - not called that anymore - "Aquacare" but it will always be TMG to me!) and will likely go back to PMDD, since I still have all these dry ferts and it is SO much cheaper to mix them yourself. I have a lot of watching and testing to do to see what the needs of this tank will be. It is still settling in.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I already have a smallish school of cardinal tetras in there now, added since I took the pics, but there is tons of room still. I am still building on the inhabitants. In a tank this size there is no reason not to keep the rainbows along with a school of tetras.

In my 20+ years keeping aquariums, when tanks are cloudy they are overstocked (remove some of the fish), experiencing a bacterial bloom (wait it out, do nothing), are going through some sort of mini cycle (ammonia or nitrite will register, at least a trace, on test kits, and the fish are not behaving normally), or you are going to have a green water bloom, which is due to excess nutrients in the water column, cured by blackouts or preferably a UV filter, followed by a more rigorous PWC regimen in the future. It can also be due to inadequate filtration for the tank, partly related to how the tank is stocked.

Here is a pic of a few of the cardinals, half of the school I added (they don't always stick together). There are also some cuttings of plants taken from other tanks, including water wisteria, sunset hygro, and moneywort that I recently added.

Oh thanks for the information :)

I will give some of my fishes away. I am pretty sure that they will take my silver dollars, and my paradise gouramis.

I have this giant angel in the tank which is pretty aggressive, but it's huge. So I can't do anything about it's behavior.

I think you are right about the bacterial bloom. I had a feeling of that, because I have a 10 gallon and it's only got 3 fishes in it and they are small, and the water is crystal clear water :)

Mainly because it is 2 puffer fishes and 1 plecostomus.

But my 29 gallon has about 25 fishes. Which is probably the cause of all of the problems.

So then since I had that problem in my tank, I remembered it must of happened to my friend before and he has been raising fishes for about 20 years just like you too :)

He told me to get rid of a few of the fishes, and he said for me to give the fishes to Big Al's AQUARIUM Services :)

So I will do that tomorrow.

He told me to get some live plants too, and he gave me a bunch and also told me to go and buy some more.

So I did and it seems to not do much... but I do know from taking plant biology on both aquatic plants and land plants. That the aquatic plants absorb nutrients and some other stuff that can be harmful to the aquarium.

But it goes at a slow speed in one day. So it probably might take some time..

But I hope things will go well when I remove some of my fishes :)

Don't worry, I will never kill my fishes by flushing them down the toilet xD it's cruel.

Also, I hope that you can post videos on your fishes :)

150 gallons is HUGE :) but compared to a 1,000 gallon. It's not big big xD

I love your tank decor :)

Oh, and if you have anymore good advice please let me know :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
WOW. The sand add just the perfect touch. im setting up a 55 gallon sometime soon for a science project. I need it to look good so i think i might use sand. I also plan on using cardinal tets and A. Rainbows, but after seeing those B. Rainbows i might change my mind. What would u say is good? or can i mix them?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts