Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12g aquapod, and the tmps have always been high, my room is 76.F. all the time and my 12g aquapod is usually 82, thats pretty high, and it sometimes reaches 84 w/lights on, on a hot day, what can i do to bring down the temps,

·
Registered
943 Posts
How long are you running each set of lights? I wouldnt worry much about 82 degrees, is there any way you can set up a small fan to blow accross the top and back of the tank to help take away the heat from the lights, thats one of the problems with PC lights they get hot.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, but their kinda loud, i turn the blue lights on at 6:30 AM and turn the Light lights on at 7:30 AM then at 8 PM i turn the white lights off and at 9 turn the blue of, is that to long. I also heard that the aqua-pod has a pump that gets hot and most people have higher temps. I know they make a pump that is just as strong but lower watts, that seems to help most people, but idk were to get one, if you know please post a link. right now its 81.7 sometimes its their all day but sometimes it gets hotter

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, i did some stuff, this morning it was 79 F. and by night when i turned the lights off it was 81.7 F. So it didnt overheat, i kinda fixed it i gess. Is it ok if the temp changes that much or should i get a heater and set it to a solid 81 F

·
Registered
943 Posts
A 3 degree swing isnt to bad but you only need to run your day lights for 8 hours a day and then run your dawn and dusk for 1 hour before and after, get a couple timers so they come on and go off at the same time every day and that will also help with the heating issue

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so do you think turning the Actinic bulb on at 6:30 AM and the daylight bulb on a t 7:30 in the morning and then turning the daylight of at 6:30 PM and the Actinic bulb of at 7:30 is to much light, but will a 3 degree light stress out fish, inverts, and softies

·
Registered
943 Posts
If you can keep it to a 3 degree temp swing on that small of a tank then dont worry at all. With running your lights as long as your are it can lead to algea problems and also shorten the life of the bulbs and even at only 8 hours a day for the day lights PC's are only good for 9 months MAX so you will be shortening them to about 6 months. I would get timers to run your lights and they are only like 6-8 bucks for the timex timers, at least around here in the walmart stores. I have a temp swing of about 2 degrees on my 100 gallon total water volume setup with no problems at all but I have 3 computer fans running 2 80mm and 1 120mm and they come on with my lights and I have an open top canopy.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, yea I already have 1 timer. i ordered it a while back and used to use it when i had a 10g FW tank, dont have the tank anymore, but I will try to get another timer this week. thnx for you advice, very helpful. So you think like how many hours of light per day should my lights be on, its only 40 dollars to replace both of them so Im not to worried anyways, Im glad they arent like MH, like 70 per bulb

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, Ill go out, and take your advice

You always seem to know what to do. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts