Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Reefer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

The colonel a.k.a. the wife. Approved my nagging whining complaining for a 125g tank... Currently I have a 55 with a handful of corals not too much but I do not run a Calc reactor. Whats everyones 2cents about the calc reactors and is this piece of equipment an absolute need to keep my corals thriving?

Thanks,

Anthony (Newbie)
55g Mixed Reef (6 months old now)

·
Reefer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok cool.. does that require a bunch of extra maintenance time? because i do have DIY plans for a calc reactor that wouldnt be tooo expensive.

·
Registered
943 Posts
No it doesnt require any maintanence time to speak of. What types of corals do you plan on keeping, what salt and how often and how big of water changes do you plant on doing. If you need to dose its just and matter of putting in the correct amount of calcium, mag and baking soda and maybe dripping kalk. The calcium would be pealeadow the mag would be magnesium chloride and epsom salts alk buffer would be baking soda and the kalk would be Mrs Wages Pickeling Lime

·
Reefer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i have mixed corals (lps, sps, softies, zoos etc etc) and plan and moving them to this tank from my 55 and turning my 55 into a frag tank or sump. As for the salt I have been using good ol' instant ocean. Water changes I have always done and will continue doing atleast 10%-15% bi weekly.

·
Registered
943 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
I try to help out when I can. That 2 part is basically the same as store bought and MUCH cheaper just have to take some time and learn how to use it.

·
Reefer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a ton! This was really helpful information guys... I think I will try this dosing method. I looked over the costs of making the stuff and it really is cheap! The calc reactor make be something for the future but i am going to dose for now.

As for my salt mix... I will be happy to try something new. Upon filling up I will try out the reef crystals.

·
Reefer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have both but only use the refracto now. The hydro hasnt been used in like 3 months. I stay consistently at 1.025 with the use of my ato.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
FWIW the hard to find part of the diy two part is actually the magnesium chloride. In souix City you might find magnesium chloride at menards as drive way ice melter.

Calcium chloride in much easier for find as (again driveway ice melter). It also is used in concrete to speed hardening especially in cold weather. Check your local redimix places.

Of course epsom salts and baking soda are just grocery store items.

my .02

Reactions: eagleANTH

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
Oh yea and don't forget pickling lime which is the same as Kalk. It can be dripped just like kalk.

my .02

·
Reefer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks beas :)

·
Banned
3,683 Posts

·
Reefer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Des Moines eh. Thats not forever far away. Once I get this thing moving maybe we could trade some corals. :)

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
Des Moines eh. Thats not forever far away. Once I get this thing moving maybe we could trade some corals. :)

I'm from Des Moines. Born and raised there. But left in '72 to join the Air Force. Currently in Huntsville, Alabama. *o2

·
Reefer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
awww... now thats not a short drive at all...lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts