Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to make a sump but i have no idea how to match the water flow, its drivivg me crazy. i am making one out of a 10g tank but i cant match the water going into my tank to the water going out without it overflowing, im starting to go nuts!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
if the sump is overflowing it sounds like you may need a bigger return pump.

·
Registered
258 Posts
well is 10 gallons really enough for a sump tank? It sounds like he needs a bigger pump to get the water back to the tank.

·
Registered
324 Posts
if the sump is set up properly, it will only drain as fast as the pump refills the tank. something is wrong with the overflow set up.

we need a better description (and pictures) of your plumbing, especially your overflow.

·
Registered
324 Posts
How is it draining from the tank?

are you using a siphon?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it is draining from my tank using gravity, i had to suck on the pipe to get it started. the pipe is 1/2 inch, i need to know how to match that with a pump withought drilling my tank

·
Registered
324 Posts
it is draining from my tank using gravity, i had to suck on the pipe to get it started. the pipe is 1/2 inch, i need to know how to match that with a pump withought drilling my tank

you will not be able to equalize the flow
forgive me if i sound critical, but you have set your filter up incorrectly. you need to go to the LFS or online and buy an overflow. the overflow will only drain the tank as fast as the pump fills it, so the flow will always be equal.

other options include drilling the tank and adding a standpipe, but the overflow box will be simpler, not require tools, and not risk breaking your tank.

Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

this link is one model, if you look around, you can find more

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Exactly. Install an overflow box or drill the tank are your two options. You cannot have a rouge siphon and expect that to be equal with the volume the pump brings back up.
When you get your overflow and you have trouble starting the siphon, come back here and we'll walk you through it. Basically, you will install it on the tank, hook up the drain line, place the sponge in place around the standpipe, and then take some cups of water from the tank and pour it in the siphon box on the outside of the tank, fill that up with water till it starts draining down the pipe. The very tip of U-tube should be submerged, if not more than the tip. Then also pour water in the box that sits inside the tank. Now, remove the U-tube, and insert some airline tubing inside the tube so that the tip of the tubing is touching the inside of the bend in the U. Carefully place that U-tube with the airline tubing back in place, and with your mouth, suck the air out of the tube. This will cause the siphon to start, and it will only siphon the water that falls inside the box thats in the tank. And being that the other end is submerged, you shouldn't loose siphon if the flow from the return stops. You can with one hand press down on the U-tube and with the other hand remove the airline tubing. Careful to not lift the U-tube outside of the water and break the siphon / vacuum you just created. Now plug the pump in and watch the magic of physics operate your overflow and drain line like magic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts