Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have recently upgraded to a 105 litre tank.
I have the following stocking plan and would welcome any advice.

12 Leopard and Zebra Danios
8 Peppered Corys
1 Bolivian Ram

Any thoughts?
Water is soft (in the Scottish Highlands) but Danios have thrived in my old tank. I have some Java Ferns on bogwood, some floating plants and I am planting some more before I stock fully (there are a few danios in already from my old tank).

I transferred the plants, substrate, filters and half the water from my old tank and everything looks good in the new one.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I read on another site that it was beneficial to transfer some water but I must admit, I was unsure of the benefits. All water parameters look good.
Is my stocking plan OK?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi

I have recently upgraded to a 105 litre tank.
I have the following stocking plan and would welcome any advice.

12 Leopard and Zebra Danios
8 Peppered Corys
1 Bolivian Ram

Any thoughts?
Water is soft (in the Scottish Highlands) but Danios have thrived in my old tank. I have some Java Ferns on bogwood, some floating plants and I am planting some more before I stock fully (there are a few danios in already from my old tank).

I transferred the plants, substrate, filters and half the water from my old tank and everything looks good in the new one.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Hi! The Fish Lady here!😃 nice to meet you!😃
Yes, Susan is correct about the water, now if you were transferring like decorations, plants and your filter system then these would provide a great benefit but that's okay though!😃
I've always made sure that I buy 2 or 3 sets of my babies just so they don't feel quite "alone"; you know? The only one that I've run into so far of not adding some sort of "mate" was our pufferfish, Huff-Puff, they are definitely a single species creator!! 😂😂 vicious little guy that he is! 😂😂 we started with 10 and ended up with him, seriously, learned a dire lesson there.
Anyways, yes! Please post pictures when you are ready for it's sooooooooooo exciting when we do!😃

·
Registered
154 Posts
My new tank is now just awaiting a large piece of bogwood which is soaking. Then, if all tests go well, it will be time to add some more fish. Exciting time.
Hi!😃
Your aquarium looks nice!😃
I bet you are sooooooooooo excited!😃 I ALWAYS love that part! My poor hubby just dreads every time I head into a fish shop!😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 I just purchased 4 Black Convicts and 5 more Mystery Snails! This past weekend!
Wowzyyy!!😃

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to update: MY LFS refused to sell me either a Dwarf Gourami or a Ram as she said they cannot be kept at the same temperatures as Danios. That goes against all I have been reading. Anyone got any thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am running a heater and the tank is set at 23.5C. These are the temperature ranges on Aqadvisor:
=> 18 - 24C: Zebra Danio
=> 18 - 24C: Leopard Danio
=> 23 - 28C: Dwarf Gourami
=> 18 - 27C: Peppered Cory
I will show her this next week (that's when the rest of the Cory's arrive, she only had 3) and I will see what she says.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Great having a bigger school of Danios (now 12) and my first ever Peppered Cory. Only got 3 but more to come next week, hopefully with A Dwarf Gourami if I can persuade the LFS to sell me one!

Hi!!😃😃
What the...??? I know! I don't know where they get off telling you that you can't buy this or that!!! Grrrrr... I just hate this! Yesss!! I'm yelling because they try here too! And, I just go somewhere else or order them online!! 😣😣😣
I'm sooo sorry, hon, I know you are excited!! PEOPLE!!! Grrrrr... Next time I wouldn't tell them anything unless you want them know$

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The way it works here (UK) is that they won't sell you fish until you give them all the details about tank size, fish already in, water parameters and water temperature. It is a good system but only if the person doing it knows their fish!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi again! 😃
The way it works here (UK) is that they won't sell you fish until you give them all the details about tank size, fish already in, water parameters and water temperature. It is a good system but only if the person doing it knows their fish!
Hi, again, my fish buddy!😃😜
I just told my husband about your situation and he was shocked to put it lightly! Ughhh...
We both agree that we'd order online for that will cease that nonsense!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is true, they are doing their jobs. Unfortunately, I believe they are wrong. I have looked at countless blogs, sites and forums and they all agree. Danios and a Dwarf Gourami can be kept in the same tank. In fact Danios are often mentioned on the "Best Tankmates for a Gourami" lists. I did not go in to the shop without thoroughly researching the subject. I will have the discussion with them next week when I go to get the rest of my Corys.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That is true, they are doing their jobs. Unfortunately, I believe they are wrong. I have looked at countless blogs, sites and forums and they all agree. Danios and a Dwarf Gourami can be kept in the same tank. In fact Danios are often mentioned on the "Best Tankmates for a Gourami" lists. I did not go in to the shop without thoroughly researching the subject. I will have the discussion with them next week when I go to get the rest of my Corys.
Hi!!
You go!! I'm rooting for you!!😃😃

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Only a few days in but I am hugely enjoying my partially stocked tank. The Danios are brilliant to watch, weaving in and out the plants and travelling at high speeds. No shoaling yet but the tank may be too short for that. Meanwhile, the three Peppered Corys are fascinating to watch and I can't wait to get their numbers up to eight. Meanwhile, although I am hoping to win the LFS round re a Dwarf Gourami, I am starting to think of possible, middle tank contenders.
I suffered from depression after losing my job and being diagnosed with severe arthritis. For a while I could barely look at my tank and I had to force myself to do maintenance and feeding. Now, I have my love of the hobby back and I am spending frankly too much time just watching my new arrivals! 😁😁😁

·
Registered
154 Posts
Only a few days in but I am hugely enjoying my partially stocked tank. The Danios are brilliant to watch, weaving in and out the plants and travelling at high speeds. No shoaling yet but the tank may be too short for that. Meanwhile, the three Peppered Corys are fascinating to watch and I can't wait to get their numbers up to eight. Meanwhile, although I am hoping to win the LFS round re a Dwarf Gourami, I am starting to think of possible, middle tank contenders.
I suffered from depression after losing my job and being diagnosed with severe arthritis. For a while I could barely look at my tank and I had to force myself to do maintenance and feeding. Now, I have my love of the hobby back and I am spending frankly too much time just watching my new arrivals! 😁😁😁
Hi!😃
Awww... I bet that you're having a ball, my fish buddy!😃
I do know about Corys for I have about 5 of them myself. They are a trip to watch. But, I "watch" all my aquariums though! 😃 I'm The same as well. I even like watching my Mystery Snails Estuary as well! I really need to get a life!😂😂
I also encounter spells of depression myself and it runs through my entire family, unfortunately...thank goodness for my better half, my husband, hon.
Chin up, Sir, enjoy your babies to the fullest and do what you want to with them.😃
You really must post pictures for I just love Corys!😃 they're amazing, I think!😃
Ohhh! Did you ever add your Bog wood to the aquarium?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts