Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
No Title Needed
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post is similar to my saltwater post so basically this will be a shrimp build. Gravel, water, filter is going in tomorrow. Going to be heavily planted with a silent cycle approach.

The 10 gallon bowfront is the tank that will be used for this build. The other tank is for saltwater FOWLR and the one below that is for growing plants.

·
No Title Needed
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I put the substrate and filter in. This is probably the first extremely dirty substrate I've ever used and honestly next time I will proly just do pool filter sand. Tank looks super messy, but the bag says it will clear up. If not a whole bunch of water changes will clear it up.

I have limited experience with sponge filters so I just wanted to make sure that it is normal for the water coming out the intake (this sponge sucks up water and then spits it back up above the water) to be partially air, it kind of spurts out water as opposed to a constant flow.

Pic below of the messiness

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
What substrate did you use that was so messy?

·
No Title Needed
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some plants and driftwood added. I need to go home and get some plants cause the lfs up here has a limited selection of fw plants for the time being (and i'd rather not try and figure out what is what at petsmart/petco), but I was able to get java moss and some banana plants.

Edit: Sorry about low quality photo, phone was charging and I had to use zoom to use the camera, better upload in a few hours.

·
Registered
154 Posts
that is looking great. I am in the process of doing this with my 10 gallon as well. I am still looking for some plants though. Also debating on just covering my filter intake with stalkings or buying stuff for a sponge filter. What kind of shrimp are you going to put in it?

·
No Title Needed
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll probably be going with orange, yellow, and red colored shrimp. I would just do a sponge filter, shrimp will appreciate it in the long run and they are cheap.

·
I'm addicted....
278 Posts
Looks great man!

Reactions: jbrown5217

·
Registered
219 Posts
You can put all three color shrimp together?

·
No Title Needed
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking nice. # of Neon's added? Also, # of shimp you plan to add?

Will you be measuring for Ammonia ?
There will be 6 total and yep I have been measuring for ammonia, no dangerous levels and I do water changes once a week as well. # of shrimp I was thinking 3 - 6 and maybe I will stick to one color. I'd like yellow shrimp so if I can get those I will

·
No Title Needed
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: I just ordered Blue Velvet Shrimp

So I will have five of those bad boys. Hopefully they will breed and I can possibly sell them to the store by me in Salem or to all of you :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Awesome.

I plan to do a blue velvet tank at some point down the road (the tank I want to use for that is currently housing a betta) so I hope you'll be selling them when I'm ready to buy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts