Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, I'm new to this forum and was looking for some advice on my tank. I have a pretty small 3 gallon tank, with the following fish inside it:

1 x Otto
2 x Kuhli Loach
1 x Male Dwarf Gourami
2 x Female Sunset Wag

The tank originally started out looking like this:

2 x Otto
3 x Kuhli Loach

I had one (had to have been a baby) Otto disappear on me...more than likely eaten by the loaches, and I had another Loach die of what seemed to be natural causes. So I added 3 new fish a while ago. Both of these events happened a few months ago, and about 1 month apart form each other, so i doubt they were related and are no need for concern as of now. Just giving some history on the thank :p

I read up on Otto's a little more recently and figured out that many people say the tend to be happier in pairs or groups. Should I see into getting myself another Otto to keep it companionship? Do you think it really matters? And even if it was a good idea for the psych of the fish, do you think my tank could produce the algea levels that Otto's need to survive (as they can't survive off supplements alone).

Any help would be great, thank you :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey, I'm new to this forum and was looking for some advice on my tank. I have a pretty small 5 gallon tank, with the following fish inside it:

1 x Otto
2 x Kuhli Loach
1 x Male Dwarf Gourami
2 x Female Sunset Wap

The tank originally started out looking like this:

2 x Otto
3 x Kuhli Loach

I had one (had to have been a baby) Otto disappear on me...more than likely eaten by the loaches, and I had another Loach die of what seemed to be natural causes. So I added 3 new fish a while ago. Both of these events happened a few months ago, and about 1 month apart form each other, so i doubt they were related and are no need for concern as of now. Just giving some history on the thank :p

I read up on Otto's a little more recently and figured out that many people say the tend to be happier in pairs or groups. Should I see into getting myself another Otto to keep it companionship? Do you think it really matters? And even if it was a good idea for the psych of the fish, do you think my tank could produce the algea levels that Otto's need to survive (as they can't survive off supplements alone).

Any help would be great, thank you :D
I have 3 Ottos, two hand together all the time, the other one is always off in its own. ????

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
I've had several otos and there will be times when they don't hang together but there is also times when all of them will.

Its always best to have more than one even if they don't hang together at times, but most times when you aren't watching they will be together enjoying each others company.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well just to update this, I don't have a 5 gallon tank, I only have a 3 gallon (thought I had a 5). So basically it would be good for the fish if I had another Otto.

Now onto the other problem that might arise from this situation. With my tank size and the amount of fish I have, will there be enough food for two Otto's? I don't need them starving to death on me :/

Thank you so far for helping me :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well just to update this, I don't have a 5 gallon tank, I only have a 3 gallon (thought I had a 5). So basically it would be good for the fish if I had another Otto.

Now onto the other problem that might arise from this situation. With my tank size and the amount of fish I have, will there be enough food for two Otto's? I don't need them starving to death on me :/

Thank you so far for helping me :D
Just watch their bellys,, they should be nice and plump, if they start looking thin, get a pack of algae disks and drop one in occasionally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts